Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I get by just fine with 16GB as long as I have unlimited data. I stream all of my music and store all my pictures and videos in the cloud. I use Hangouts for texting, so only recent messages stay stored on my devices and don't take up multiple GBs like Messages used to.

Since I knew I wouldn't be using my iPhone SE much with an unlimited data line, I got the 64GB, but my iPhone 5s before it and my current iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4 are both cellular 16GB devices and they're fine for me.

My point exactly. Everyone is different.

I live where internet and phone data are very unreliable and slow so it's either have it on your phone or do without.

SweetApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2016
Philadelphia
Theoretically, if the base storage of the iPhone 7 is 32GB (and they don't raise the base price) then shouldn't it cost the same as a 64GB 6s? Unless you're getting the 6s for less or don't like the 7 maybe you could consider that option as well.
Yeah.. But I like my headphones lol. I want the 6s plus actually. I'm convinced that I should just such it up and get the 64 gb and apple can steal my 100 for storage they should have already provided as the base model :'(

Reactions: alexmarchuk

alejovh101

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2015
I have a 16gb 6s plus and yes, go for the 64gb if you can afford it. I only have about 34 apps. No music downloaded, no videos, no pictures and only have 2.77gb of storage left. I store all my pics online via the google photos app and delete them off the iphone.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
64gb. Get it without hesitation. 16gb is bad and will only get worse in the long haul. I sometimes wish to sell my Xiaomi because it only had 12gb avail and no expandable storage space. But it is ok since my LG and Moto carry all my media anyway thanks to the $20 64gb sd inside them.

I have about 5gb of music. 1440 songs and bit rate is only at 128. My photos are over 3000+ and at 5gb as well. Some 200+ photos in recent albums have nearly 1gb capacity. If you plan to take alot of photos, it is mandatory to go higher since Apple doesn't let you change the MP setting. Photos can be like 4mb in size or higher. Some of my photos especially in daylight are as big as my songs.

Minimum for me should be 32gb. Take account what you value most with media.

Storage Wasters
1. Videos, esp in movies in HD (800mb-2gb)
2. Games (some go from 1-3gb)
3. Apps (10mb-50mb or higher)
4. Music (depends on the bit rate, 4mb)
5. Photos (5mb or less)

Then you have to think ahead for future photos taken and software updates that eat up space. You also should not dip below a certain amount of space. If I go under 1gb with storage left, my device will slow down.

Just get 64gb and thank me later.

Reactions: decafjava

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah.. But I like my headphones lol. I want the 6s plus actually. I'm convinced that I should just such it up and get the 64 gb and apple can steal my 100 for storage they should have already provided as the base model :'(

if you are a 87 year old grandma then 11gb (it's not 16 it's 11) will work perfect for you :), just make sure the only thing you use your phone for is checking your mail and occasionally browsing the internet

Reactions: 5105973

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Its all about your usage, if you planing to use it as camera - music player - media consumption, big chance 16GB will be to small, unless you don’t mind once in a while transferring your pics and videos to your computer or cloud service.

As a 16GB iPhone owner im still having 8GB free and i never run out of space. Mind you i don’t store giant vids\music\pics library or 100s of apps, so you can guess whats my main usage are… :cool:

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
My wife and I both have 16g 5s iphones and are getting along ok. However, we don't store high quantity of pictures or videos on our phones. Having said that, we are bumping up against being full and will not be buying 16g phones again. Minimum will be 32g and most likely 64g.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
IOS updates take up to 2GB up omg...

That is no longer true. Updates are also not a problem anymore. If you update via iTunes, then the space on your phone does not matter. Since iOS 9, over-the-air updates are heavily compressed and the system can delete some big, unused apps for you temporarily while retaining your data, afterwards it downloads them again for you.

Games (some go from 1-3gb)

They can be that big, but very, very few are that big. I'd wager that most games are under 500 MB, perhaps under 300 MB. This is only getting better as more modern games take advantage of on-demand resources and app slicing.

16 GB is perfectly manageable and the device will remove caches automatically as you run out of space. However, for a device that expensive, the 16 GB is not a good deal and 64 GB is definitely a smarter option in terms of value for money.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
For the love of god go with the 64gb, its too much money to give for a crippled iphone which the 16gb version is.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
if you are a 87 year old grandma then 11gb (it's not 16 it's 11) will work perfect for you :), just make sure the only thing you use your phone for is checking your mail and occasionally browsing the internet
Or many other people of many other ages.
[doublepost=1469541594][/doublepost]
For the love of god go with the 64gb, its too much money to give for a crippled iphone which the 16gb version is.
Or a perfectly fine and functional device for plenty of people.

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I have 16gb, and it's fine, but not ideal. I'm diligent about cleaning the data and doing a wipe and restore, though. More out of necessity because I have a 16gb phone. As others said, I stream all of my music, and I have photos backup to iCloud. I'm happy that the next phone will have 32gb as the minimum storage.

Reactions: ABC5S and arkitect

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I ran on 16Gb versions of the 3GS and iPhone 5 for three years each with no problem at all. Only had a 64gb 6S because i was in a position to pay the extra to have one. My other half ran an 8Gb iPhone 4 and is on a 16gb 5S and never had an issue. For every user that fills their phone up with all sorts of games, other big apps, loads of videos etc etc there will be folk who get their iPhone subsidised with their network plan and just use it for calls, messaging, social network stuff, browsing and the odd photo\video here and there and 16gb is plenty for them.

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I got 16 GB for my work phone as I am only using work approved apps, no photos and no music. I have my Galaxy S7 Edge for everything else.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
My iPhone 6s is doing just fine with 16 GB of memory. My other iPhones I had the past had 16 GB of memory and I did just fine with them as well. Some photographs some music, not very much of it, and I do not play games since I'm not a kid anymore. And why would I play games on the stupid small screen phone anyway?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you're not a horder of pictures and videos, 16GB iPhone is ok. You'll eventually wish it was bigger though for sure.

If you keep a tidy ship and toss out old crap (Messages), 16 is ok. But a year (or sooner) after you get the phone you'll wish you got the 64.

If you get a 16, download a video compression app. It can save you a ton of space if you like to keep videos.

Personally, I toss almost everything once I get bored w it.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I've been in your position, and I've found that 16GB is good enough to get by. However, even with only a few albums, one or two videos and a handful of audiobooks on my iPhone, I really do find myself bugged by close-to-out-of-space warnings. I'm shuffling that content frequently; I can almost never afford not to think about just leaving something on it that I'm finished consuming.

If it's your main device, I'd say you're at least right to consider spending the extra $100, especially if you're weighing against the value of what it feels like to use your device for at least two years.

robes1

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
16GB seems pretty futile in 2016, considering the advancements in phones and apps.. Sure there is a small portion of people out there who only use their iPhones for text/email/phone. But I would assume that 16GB would end up being too little for most users these days that use apps, record video, take photos, listen to music, play games, etc. 32GB should really be the starting option for iPhones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
16GB seems pretty futile in 2016, considering the advancements in phones and apps.. Sure there is a small portion of people out there who only use their iPhones for text/email/phone. But I would assume that 16GB would end up being too little for most users these days that use apps, record video, take photos, listen to music, play games, etc. 32GB should really be the starting option for iPhones.
While I agree that for users that do more photography and/or videos and store more media on their phones as well as use more apps 16 GB would be a hassle to deal with, I think there might be some underestimation involved as far as the more typical group of iPhone users that use the device for calls, messaging, email, some social networking, news, sports, and weather (basically only needing a handful of apps), with perhaps some limited photography and the like.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
16gb iPhone isn't the best. I remember I was constantly deleting apps and music from my phone just to put a few things back on there. I have a 64gb iPhone 6 now and I'm at 39.8gb. Really wish Apple would've made a 32gb model, I'm sure that would be enough for me.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My mom has a 32GB iPhone (5 then 5s) and has complained in the past that she couldn't keep all the photos and videos she took on her phone whenever I needed to offload those (videos primarily) to Dropbox. Barely any apps, no local music (she uses Pandora). In fairness, 32GB is sufficient for more than 3 years worth of pics. It's just the videos it couldn't handle. Interestingly enough, I initially thought she would be a good candidate for 16GB. Just glad I got her a more spacious model. She's since been upgraded to an iPhone SE 64GB.

Imho, 16GB may have been fine in the old days when iOS was only around 1GB and you were left with ~14GB storage, 50MB apps were considered big and the phone only had a 2MP camera. Nowadays, both iPhones and iPads are long overdue for a storage upgrade at the entry level. Given they've finally gotten rid of the "free" 8GB iPhone models, 32GB base models are probably coming soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.