Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I heard some years ago that you can get external monitor equivalent to iMac 27 if you buy an LG monitor for $1k.
Is that the price still nowadays? Does it have the same PPI (218) as iMac?

If you want to save money what 24'' monitor could you get without sacrificing the ppi?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
LG Ultrafine 5K is the monitors name.
I'm using it at this moment. It's really a great monitor. I've purchased mine from ebay, brand new, unopened for 700$.
Time will tell how long it will last, but it's really great for pixel density. Brightness is also rather high, and colors are great as well. At least to my untrained eye.

You also have a LG 24" 4K Ultrafine. But bare in mind, that has a lot less space to work with.
And since you are posting this in alternative section, please research what device you are connecting to any of these monitors.

Only 4 lane TB3 port will work. And that TB3 ports has to be directly connected to your GPU.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I have mid-2014 MacBook 15'',
but I was thinking of buying a Windows desktop to use it with (or build my own W desktop if possible).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I heard some years ago that you can get external monitor equivalent to iMac 27 if you buy an LG monitor for $1k.
Is that the price still nowadays? Does it have the same PPI (218) as iMac?

If you want to save money what 24'' monitor could you get without sacrificing the ppi?
There's no 24" 5k display so any 24" display you find will be 4k or lower. The LG 27" Ultrafine is the same 5k display panel that's in the 27" iMacs.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I have mid-2014 MacBook 15'',
but I was thinking of buying a Windows desktop to use it with (or build my own W desktop if possible).

I've read about some ways to get LG 5K working with a regular PC desktop.
But keep in mind, you won't be able to adjust brightness, volume, etc.

You're better off looking at some of the 4K monitors out there. They won't be nearly as sharp, but at least they will do their job. LG 5K was made for macs only. It kinda works for PC, but with caveats.

bobbie424242

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2015

You're better off looking at some of the 4K monitors out there. They won't be nearly as sharp, but at least they will do their job. LG 5K was made for macs only. It kinda works for PC, but with caveats.

Can't brightness and contrast be adjusted with a DDC utility such as ClickMonitorDDC ?

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019

Are there any non-LG 5k monitors for Windows that was designed for PC?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
iiyama sold a 5k monitor that used the LG panel afaik, but it's eol if I'm not mistaken.
The lack of 5K or higher screens is infuriating imo, as we always have to deal with fractional UI scaling because of that :/

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
iiyama sold a 5k monitor that used the LG panel afaik, but it's eol if I'm not mistaken.
The lack of 5K or higher screens is infuriating imo, as we always have to deal with fractional UI scaling because of that :/

I don't see the price for it on that page. How much does it cost?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I have no idea if you can still get it new. It's nowhere to be found here in Germany. As I said: I think it's end of life and discontinued.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.