Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhatRS

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2014
Interesting. I had two kids recently graduate from college and grad school (Bachelors Business, Masters Public Health). They both used base configuration 8GB MBAs. Zero problems. Great reliable computers that did everything they needed. I suppose if they were running large complex algorithms or doing significant video editing for coursework it would be another story. But for typical college majors, they had no problems. I would venture a bet that the base configuration MBA is the single most popular laptop on college campuses.
Science students, also running Zoom and other web-apps. Uses a lot of RAM.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Science students, also running Zoom and other web-apps. Uses a lot of RAM.
As I mentioned, two of my kids were Business and Public Health majors not science, but they did lots of Zoom, especially during the pandemic, and frequently used web-apps. Never had a problem with their base configuration MBAs. My niece was a Civil and Environmental Engineering major (class of 2022), and she finished up her bachelors in fine form with a base M1 MBA. Never had a problem.

On the other hand, my middle son is a Phd student in Economics. His undergrad was double major in math and economics. I got him a MBP with extra storage and RAM when he entered upper division. He works on very complex algorithms and downloads/manipulates huge data files. I don't think the base MBA would be the right computer for him.

It all comes down to user requirements.

Reactions: Bazza1 and Chuckeee

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
Consider that:
1. The M processors (M1,2,3) are based on the architecture of the A series (used in iPhones). What says more RAM is needed to improve the experience?
2. Most people's laptop computing demands are not high: a browser, Outlook, Spotify … and generally not intense multi-tasking.

For the people Apple makes most their money off of (majority-market consumers), the base specs just have to be good enough … and they are.
It is still a question of WHEN, not IF.

Apple's software, graphics and screen resolutions still need more and more RAM over time (ignoring a few dips due to memory compression hacks), needs for RAM is generally only going up in time.

Eventually Apple will up the base to 12GB or 16GB... probably in the next few generations.

People complaining now likely helps that along, little bit by little bit, so keep on complaining and delaying purchases. :)

The base specs are definitely "good enough" for most; but at Apple prices, customers expecting a bit more than just "good enough" is also perfectly fair.

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
> People complaining now likely helps that along, little bit by little bit, so keep on complaining and delaying purchases.

TBH I think the only reason why the new 256gb models are made with two 128gb chips instead of one 256 (like the M1 and M2) is because it kept coming up in reviews and discussions, and someone at Apple decided the bad press wasn't worth the five dollars it was saving them on production.

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
I repeat: If you want a 16 gig Mac, just ignore the 8 gig price. You are paying the price for the product you are buying, not the difference to the product you are not buying. It does not matter how much extra or less you pay, compared to a product you don’t want.
I'm pretty comfortable saying that the MBA with 16GB of RAM costs too much. :)

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Eventually Apple will up the base to 12GB or 16GB... probably in the next few generations.

People complaining now likely helps that along, little bit by little bit, so keep on complaining and delaying purchases. :)

The base specs are definitely "good enough" for most; but at Apple prices, customers expecting a bit more than just "good enough" is also perfectly fair.
And what people forget is that when that time comes, those base specs will be close to the edge and people will once again complain that 12GB/16GB is not enough at that time. Apple plays that game very well and I remember how they did that with the iPad. They only bumped the RAM when iOS ran like molasses on limited RAM, especially when they introduced iOS 7.

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
Apple are again selling the 8gb equivalent to 16gb. Technically absurd but this time it’s being referred to various regulatory authorities.

It is not equivalent to 16gb and a multitude of tests confirm it. Any significant increase in workload results in swapping.

They should desist from these absurd claims. Unified memory does have some benefits but not to the extent 8gb is anywhere near 16gb performance wise

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I think it is interesting that the last straw for 8GB base SKUs might be the current need to sell "AI features".

Indeed. T'was always thus, though. The demands of a new OS (usually incorporating a 'squirrel' function) makes the otherwise perfectly fine previous hardware configuration inadequate.

I guess we can be eternally grateful Apple never went with 3D screens on their MacBooks or iMacs. Though the current Vision comes pretty close as a distraction product.

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023
It is still a question of WHEN, not IF.

Apple's software, graphics and screen resolutions still need more and more RAM over time (ignoring a few dips due to memory compression hacks), needs for RAM is generally only going up in time.

I bet the market is already telling Apple this. When I look at Mac Mini in the Apple Refurb store, the 8GB models are always the last to sell (well that and the $3479 model that's hard to justify over a Studio). It could be a matter of relative prodution volumes but I always see the 16GB/256GB model sell out before the identically priced 8GB/512GB model. Apple of course has the actual sales volume and such and sure there is a whole team designated to analyze demand data...

• Love
Reactions: smulji

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I have and use a 2017 MacBook Pro that has the 128gb ssd and 8gb of ram for my job in emergency management and it is just fine, in fact I much rather use my personal MacBook Pro for my work than the windows 11 crap box that has 16gb of ram. I never shut it down, just close the screen when I am done for the day, and memory pressure is always in the green, and so far have less than 100mb of swap in 3 weeks of not being shut down. I used the issued windows 11 crap box for 3 weeks before I got my 2010 MacBook Pro which also has 8gb of ram and worked just fine and would still be using it if I did not find my 2017 MacBook Pro for an awesome deal a couple weeks ago. We use a fairly complex cad system, as well as safari several tabs open, mail app, and often maps. Never see the beach ball, or any slowdown, still get 8-9 hour out of a battery that has 787 cycles on it and it runs as cool as can be. Still have almost 100gb free still on the 128 ssd that I may consider upgrading just because, but even if I could upgrade the ram.... likely would not since I do not see a need for it.

Reactions: Chuckeee

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I have and use a 2017 MacBook Pro that has the 128gb ssd and 8gb of ram for my job in emergency management and it is just fine, in fact I much rather use my personal MacBook Pro for my work than the windows 11 crap box that has 16gb of ram. I never shut it down, just close the screen when I am done for the day, and memory pressure is always in the green, and so far have less than 100mb of swap in 3 weeks of not being shut down. I used the issued windows 11 crap box for 3 weeks before I got my 2010 MacBook Pro which also has 8gb of ram and worked just fine and would still be using it if I did not find my 2017 MacBook Pro for an awesome deal a couple weeks ago. We use a fairly complex cad system, as well as safari several tabs open, mail app, and often maps. Never see the beach ball, or any slowdown, still get 8-9 hour out of a battery that has 787 cycles on it and it runs as cool as can be. Still have almost 100gb free still on the 128 ssd that I may consider upgrading just because, but even if I could upgrade the ram.... likely would not since I do not see a need for it.
For my wife's 8/128 GB 2017 MacBook Air, the 8 GB memory has not been an issue, but the 128 GB storage was a problem after about a year. The main problem was her bloated iMessage data. She had over 40 GB used by iMessage alone. (We have a ton of images and videos in Messages.) I upgraded her SSD to an OEM Apple/Samsung 256 GB SSD and all has been fine since.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.