Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Sure there’s a new iPad Pro coming with an M3 Chip and a OLED display. But RAM is key and it’s not gonna have more than 8GB of RAM. Meaning it’s irrelevant. For 2 reasons.

A. It can’t do anything special that older iPad Pros can also do.
B. 8GB of dead end RAM is well a dead end.

I think this is the end of the Road for the iPad Pro.

also it’s gonna need a new Apple Pencil that’s reworked for OLED displays. And it’s gonna be at least $200 more than base iPad Pros.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Sure there’s a new iPad Pro coming with an M3 Chip and a OLED display. But RAM is key and it’s not gonna have more than 8GB of RAM. Meaning it’s irrelevant. For 2 reasons.

also it’s gonna need a new Apple Pencil that’s reworked for OLED displays. And it’s gonna be at least $200 more than base iPad Pros.
Yea, and that new foldable design is just crap, my mate broke his new Ipad Pro extra 14.2" in half seconds after getting it. And now the Apple store refuses to take it back saying its his own fault...
And battery time....don't even get me started, 30 minutes on 6G, that is beyond *****.

I do like the new 666 satanic red metallic colour tho.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I disagree.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Yea, and that new foldable design is just crap, my mate broke his new Ipad Pro extra 14.2" in half seconds after getting it. And now the Apple store refuses to take it back saying its his own fault...
And battery time....don't even get me started, 30 minutes on 6G, that is beyond *****.

I do like the new 666 satanic red metallic colour tho.
Ya see, you should have waited for Gen 2. I love my 24" tri-fold iPad Pro and it sucks to be you because my iPad Pro was autographed by Satan himself.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020

You’ve made two assumptions based on what?

We have no facts on the new features so how do you know what it can/can’t do compared to the ”older iPad Pros”? I would buy a new iPad Pro over the older IPP if it only had a landscape camera as the new feature! But my guess is it will have other features - OLED for example.

As for RAM, I am not sure it is “key”. It certainly is a factor in performance but 8GB would be minimum given the current model has that.

If the new IPP has landscape camera, a new MK, a new pencil - added to the current functions - extended screen support, quad speakers etc I actually think this a pivotal moment for the IPP. If they could add a desktop class browser to it (that supports it’s file system) I think this would make the IPP a genuine laptop alternative for some of those who don’t use it that way currently.

Reactions: Unholy Bystander

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Schrödinger’s iPad Pro. It both is overpowered for its apps and it needs more RAM.

Last edited:

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
These threads are so dumb. 8gb is more than enough for most people.
Agreed. My iPad 9th gen has 3GB RAM and is perfectly fine for what I do on this device. The problem is that some folks aren’t choosing the proper tool for the job. Just because you can hammer a nail into a board with a crescent wrench doesn’t mean that a crescent wrench is the proper tool for that job.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
The iPad is Apple's sub-$1000 computing line where their billion-dollar market research (vs forumite anecdotal evidence) tells them users are willing to sacrifice a little flexibility in favour of a more controlled experience. It is coded as such to not really need more memory.

If you want an all-singing, all-dancing 64Gb RAM monster Apple already make a whole range of computers for you to choose from.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

The RAM is most certainly NOT the issue with the iPad Pro. The OS is.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
How do you know that the new iPads will have only 8GB? Even on iPads that are out NOW, it was a struggle finding out how much RAM it has, because Apple doesn't advertise that. iFixIt has to tear it apart to find out. Plus, current iPads with 1TB+ have 16GB RAM.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How do you know that the new iPads will have only 8GB? Even on iPads that are out NOW, it was a struggle finding out how much RAM it has, because Apple doesn't advertise that. iFixIt has to tear it apart to find out. Plus, current iPads with 1TB+ have 16GB RAM.
Apple tells us how much RAM the M# iPads have.

Tech Specs page
IMG_0634.jpeg

Compare iPad page

IMG_0633.jpeg

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.