Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did Apple go far enough with $29 battery replacements?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I say they should remove the throttling so the phone just shut down. Maybe less post here.
Or change their suppliers. If a 7 year old iPhone 4 can still work without shutting down, I see no reason why an iPhone 6, 6S or 7 should be at risk in their shorter life span.

This is a new issue and I do not previously remember us talking about iPhones at risk of shutting down after a couple of years use? There’s a lot of defending here, much of which is coming from people who own current iPhones and are not affected by this issue. We all appreciate Apples products or we wouldn’t buy them or be here, but let’s not give them a free pass for sneaky behaviour.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Or change their suppliers. If a 7 year old iPhone 4 can still work without shutting down, I see no reason why an iPhone 6, 6S or 7 should be at risk in their shorter life span.

This is a new issue and I do not previously remember us talking about iPhones at risk of shutting down after a couple of years use? There’s a lot of defending here, much of which is coming from people who own current iPhones and are not affected by this issue. We all appreciate Apples products or we wouldn’t buy them or be here, but let’s not give them a free pass for sneaky behaviour.
Exactly!

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Ummm... It’s not just a battery you are getting. “It’s an Apple battery duh!” And an autographed 8x10 of Tim Cook himself....

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Agreed. The fact that Apple is only doing this price drop of batteries temporarily, instead of permanently for affected iPhones, is pretty telling...

They simply want to put some temporary space between themselves and the current backlash of their shady actions so that the anger dies down. Then, instead of fixing the issue, they are back to their crappy ways of throttling everything and overcharging ($79! LoL) for battery replacements.

Apple again lacking morals on any sort of long term solution (permanent price drop of battery replacements for affected models) and instead going with an unacceptable band-aid for the problem hoping customers just accept it a year from now :rolleyes:

I’m sure the apologists and customers who love to bend over for Apple will do all they can to say how much Apple has done or how you should just accept it and to that I say: Bull**** I have a higher standard for companies that that, especially Apple.

I have no idea why you think a tiny battery for a product used heavily every day and charged multiple times per day would last you more than two years before losing capability.

There are thousands of mall kiosks across the country providing battery replacement services for millions of people each month.

You didn’t notice?

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Samuel79

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
Rubbish they never said anything about the throttling all they was

The shutdowns solved by iOS 10.2.1 are reportedly caused by uneven power delivery from older batteries, which can trigger an emergency shutdown on an iPhone. Apple has tweaked its power management system to reduce shutdowns, but some users may occasionally still have problems, so Apple has also created a way to auto-restart without needing to connect to power. The auto-restart feature is available on the iPhone 6 and 6s in iOS 10.2.1 and will be added to the iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus in iOS 10.3.

neverloyal

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
I have no idea why you think a tiny battery for a product used heavily every day and charged multiple times per day would last you more than two years before losing capability.

There are thousands of mall kiosks across the country providing battery replacement services for millions of people each month.

You didn’t notice?

Thats ok that the battery may degrade and need replacing. But why didn't apple provide a notification alerting me that the reason for my huge day to day performance drop was because of throttling that had been applied to help my apparently degraded battery.

Before the update, my phone was as fast as day 1 for my usage, no random shutdowns. The morning of the update, the phone was stuttering and hanging with each icon press.

If i had known it was a simple as a new battery, i would not have bought a new phone in frustration.

Reactions: edc415 and Pez555

Samuel79

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
So the battery fault was always knowing if they/ are applying it to the 6sp and thus newer phones down the line if this is not planned obsolescence by using battery's they know cant cut the mustard 18 month down the line I dont know what is not

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not good enough, I want a personal aplogy. If you're reading Tim call me.

Hyperbole aside, but I don't think Tim Cook has the time and nor does he want to read some of the drivel on a tech forum. Perhaps you could E-mail him personally and express you're seeking an apology directly from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.