Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
On Pc over the years you clutter data that hinders your OS performance and so many people choose to clean install. Is this the case for iOS or is it just placebo effect?

My ios setup is from years old I need to restore from backup i just have too many exact setups, open tabs, written notes, game saves...etc etc.

Will restoring from backup give same effect? I am not convinced of clean installs iOS since all you do is install/unistall apps so it cant be cluttered.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
In theory it could have an effect, but it almost never really does. It’s mostly placebo.

Of course, people believe that swallowing vitamins that your body can’t absorb helps your health, so people swear by placebos.

Short answer: other than the time wasted, it couldn’t hurt.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I did this experiment on one of those 16GB front-facing-only Camera Silver-on-black 5th Generation iPod touches. Benchedmarked it before a major iOS update (back then it was going from iOS 6 to iOS 7), benchmarked it after the update, and then benchmarked it after doing a complete DFU wipe and restore. Unsurprisingly, the difference between 6 and 7 was substantial. However, there was still a sizeable difference between upgraded-to iOS 7 and DFU-Restored iOS 7. Not as big as the difference from 6 to 7, but still enough that it might be worth doing.

My standard practice is that if I'm going from a major release to another (such as 12.4.7 to 13.x.y), I'll do a DFU restore to the newest one. Doing a DFU restore allows the firmware of various components to also be updated and restored. It also is the surefire way to zap any weird glitches that aren't irreparable. If I'm going from one version of a major release to another version of that same major release (such as from 13.4.1 to 13.5), I just do the over-the-air update as it's not as major of an overhaul. If there's a speed gain to be had from a DFU wipe from minor updates versus in-place upgrading, it's negligible and likely not worth it.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I'm in the placebo camp, however, if running into some serious/real problems, then yes, clean install.

My first iPhone was the 2008. All newer phones were setup from backups through the 8. The 8 (2017), ran into a bunch of problems with apps not working, cloud sync issues, crashes, etc (sorry, don't recall specifics). A clean install of that phone cleaned things up, and have been setting-up via backups/Quick Start ever since.

Was the problem with the 8 due to a bad backup? Maybe. But even then, clean install was the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafa Moreno

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
We need someone with a clutter ipad or iphone to do some sort of a benchmark then for science, completely erase his device and use a clean install.

I am glad to hear more people are on the placebo camp since this will save me much trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.