Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kupo12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
I've been biding my time as I am chugging along with my now 13-year-old 2010 imac. I've updated the ram and replaced the hard drive, but alas, the vast array of restrictions software wise have pretty well started forcing me to look at replacement options.

I'm looking for some input on what option would be best suited for me. Furthermore, I have in the past attempted to build my own computer, but much to my chagrin, there does not exist a monitor (that I can afford) that comes with a glossy screen coating. Because of this, I always incur crazy eye strain/burning whenever I attempt to use any modern monitor with their oh so lovely matte coatings. Due to this fact, I was forced to sell my computer and re-asses my path for the future. Hoping that some day, someone might make a gloss screen monitor so that I can work/enjoy media without hindrance.

Along comes the studio display, this kind of solves my problem in that it offers the display I want, but at the downside of its insane cost, accompanied by the fact that it's only 60hz really makes me question whether it's worth purchasing.

I will be using my computer for productivity/creative work via photoshop and zbrush/blender. I would like to do some occasional gaming on the side (I know, I know, apple ≠ gaming) as well as media consumption.

So my question is, would a laptop like the macbook pro (I'm thinking the 16" version) be a suitable upgrade for something that will likely be around with me for another decade? Going in with the assumption that I will not be connecting any sort of monitor to it and using it as it. Or would it be more ideal to shell out for the Studio Display and hook it up to a mac mini (or ipad pro or pc)? I use my computer pretty well for 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. I don't travel, so I don't require being mobile in any sense, it's just an added perk I guess.

I was thinking about the idea of an ipad pro+studio display as well because 70% of my use will be drawing in some way, but I'm not so convinced of the longevity/workflow combo. I also considered the 24" imac but I do not like the 24" screen, and I'm not certain that I will be satisfied with the performance of the base m series configuration. I read about the rumored 32" (is that the correct size?) model to be coming out potentially next year, but I guess any information about that is still completely up in the air.

Please chime in with any thoughts to discuss.

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
You should think (like REALLY hard) about the implications of getting a MacBook. Personally, I really regret getting a MacBook (but it was necessary at the time, so I kind of was forced into it).
  • Need for dongles. Sure, the 16-inch MBP has an HDMI port and an SD card reader, but you'll still need adapters/dongles for USB devices, Ethernet, etc. The Mac mini has USB and Ethernet built-in.
  • Small display compared to the Studio Display
  • Useful(less)ness of the nature of the device (that it's a laptop sitting on your desk)
  • The convenience of a desktop (especially since it doesn't sound like you travel much)
Of course, the 16-inch MBP has advantages like the 120 Hz refresh rate and the XDR display. Are those things important to you? If I were you, I'd get the Mac mini + studio display.

Last edited:

Kupo12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
You should think (like REALLY hard) about the implications of getting a MacBook. Personally, I really regret getting a MacBook (but it was necessary at the time, so I kind of was forced into it).
  • Need for dongles. Sure, the 16-inch MBP has an HDMI port and an SD card reader, but you'll still need adapters/dongles for USB devices, Ethernet, etc. The Mac mini has USB and Ethernet built-in.
  • Small display compared to the Studio Display
  • Useful(less)ness of the nature of the device (that it's a laptop sitting on your desk)
  • The convenience of a desktop (especially since it doesn't sound like you travel much)
Of course, the 16-inch MBP has advantages like the 120 Hz refresh rate and the XDR display. Are those things important to you? If I were you, I'd get the Mac mini + studio display.
Yeah, I guess I was thinking about the idea of having a more up-to-date display and set up. As much as I like the 27" size with the studio display, the thing that keeps stopping me is the fact that I'm paying so much money for something that isn't using more current tech. Which makes the mbp seem so much more appealing. Though realistically, I have no practical use for owning a laptop other than wanting the higher refresh rate/display. Getting the mac mini+studio display I guess makes a lot more sense.

Reactions: rm5

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I moved from a 2015 iMac and I was hoping for a new 27" iMac for a while but as that is pretty much off the table I went with a Mini M2 with a non apple display. I have a BenQ PD2705U (27" 4K) and a AOC U32P2CA (32" 4K) both are pretty nice and the Mini is a beast in comparison to my iMac. I use it for all thing photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) and design work in Illustrator. Little bit of video but nothing that is that hardcore. And of course all the other basics like Office for mac and web stuff. I run my photo libraries off and external ssd since that saves even more money.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Random thoughts

Don't waste money on the Studio Display. Not worth it, in my opinion.
Plenty of other good displays for A LOT less money. They're generally 4k, however.

If you're used to a 27" display, you may find even a large laptop display "restricting".
Unless you plug in an external display, of course.

Is "using the computer" something you'll always think about as doing while sitting in one place?
Or do you want portability?
(I keep a desktop Mac "for desktop things" and a MacBook Pro for "laptop things")

Don't expect ANYTHING you buy from Apple now to be "good for 10 years".
I reckon 6-7 is a more reasonable expectation.
This isn't to say you couldn't GET 10 years out of a new one.
But you'll only know for sure once you get there.

A MBP 16" is a very nice Mac.

The "equivalent" desktop (I think) would be an M2pro Mini, with a nice 27" 4k display.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Yeah, I guess I was thinking about the idea of having a more up-to-date display and set up. As much as I like the 27" size with the studio display, the thing that keeps stopping me is the fact that I'm paying so much money for something that isn't using more current tech. Which makes the mbp seem so much more appealing. Though realistically, I have no practical use for owning a laptop other than wanting the higher refresh rate/display. Getting the mac mini+studio display I guess makes a lot more sense.
I may well be merely muddying the waters for you, so apologies in advance.

A question: what do you do that requires a higher refresh rate? I have a Studio display (and had the 2014 5K iMac) and a couple of LG 4K (32”) 60Hz displays. I also have a 4K OLED 120Hz+ monitor. Along with the miniLED in my 16” MBPro, I have a fair subsection of display tech (iPhone 13 mini, iPad Pro 11” M1, iPad Pro 12.9” M2). And unless you game, I have no noticeable use case scenario for >60Hz. (This is not the case with portable electronics [e.g. iPads] but why that should be the case I’ll leave to more capable folk)

Specifically: scrolling text on iOS is definitely improved by the 120Hz displays. However, I notice nothing untoward on my 4K and 5K monitors. I photo edit, I read, and I work on my 60Hz displays (the laptop serves as a laptop on occasion but most times it is driving those other displays, except the OLED which is hooked up to my gaming PC). When I game on the MBPro (it happens) it really is a gorgeous and vivid experience.

Personally, I’m switching back to desktops when I next upgrade. But that’s because my lifestyle required a laptop and that phase of my life is coming to a close so I can revert to type. I already have the displays, keyboards, trackpads, etc just a drop in replacement for the MBPro and off I go…

tl;dr - get the Mac mini and Studio display. They are massive upgrades on your 2010 iMac and you should be ecstatic with the results despite the internet telling you that FOMO needs to be your M.O.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Unless you REALLY need to be mobile and you cannot suffice with an iPad for occasional mobile activities that your iPhone can't handle, the desktop Mini is the most logical choice.

I admit to periodically being wracked by indecision regarding the pros and cons that go with the "Macbook vs iMac vs Mini Choice Dilemma"

Last edited:
Reactions: leifp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.