Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
A screen protector is completely unnecessary - however, you may start to see fine scratches on daily use. Screenprotectors are for people who absolutely need to have a pristine screen, individuals who are likely to drop their devices and for people who resell their phones.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I never use a screen protector since my first iPhone (3GS) and Android phone (Nexus One). Technology has advanced so much (gorilla glass) for scratch resistant glasses, that it is funny we are covering it with piece of plastic.

Stores are promoting screen protectors because they are one of the highest margin accessory, not because they want to help you.

There are instances where screen protectors might be useful, especially those who are working in sandy environment. For a regular city folk, it's a luxury accessory.

PS: micro scratches on a screen can be the oleophobic coating wearing out, not the screen itself scratching.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I haven’t been using a screen protector since the iPhone 5 days and never had a single scratch on my screens. Really depends on how careful you are with your devices.

Reactions: J_Melodic

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
as per title, or can I just use it without one ?

Screen protectors are highly subjective. It all depends on your usage and do you feel the overall you would benefit from having one on your iPhone. I personally don't care for screen protectors, but others do in the sense of having an extra protection from scratches on the display. It depends also how you treat your phone as well.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I started using the iPhone with the 3G and never had a screen protector until the iPhone 6. I’m not a frequent dropper, but I do drop my iPhone every now and then. Only once, on a driveway with lots of large pebbles embedded in the concrete, did that screen protector break. I removed the shattered protector and found a completely undamaged display underneath, so I’m glad I had it. Will I put one on my X? Probably. I used to hate the sticky film protectors some people would get for their smartphones and PDA’s, but the tempered glass protectors I’ve seen are so clear it’s hard to tell they are there. They work fine with 3D Touch as well. I’m sure there are some protectors that aren’t as good as others, so YMMV.

I don’t use any protection for my Apple Watch, and after more than two years it still looks new.

A $30 or $40 protector like the Zagg might be better made than most $10 products, but there are some $10 ones that get good reviews. 10 bucks isn’t much to pay for a little peace of mind. If you don’t like it, you can always remove it.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
as per title, or can I just use it without one ?
I’ve never used a screen protector on my iPhone. I do use a slim case though (caudabe sheath).

The key is using a dedicated pocket for your iPhone. Never put your keys or coins in there. My left pocket is my iPhone pocket. No scratches so far and when I travel via airport I usually take take the phone out of the case, flip it in the way that it faces the case and the back of the iPhone is not the screen of the case. That’s how I get through security.

Back in 2014 I was traveling and went through security. I placed my phone in my backpack and I got a scratched in my 5s.

Glass is pretty sturdy.

Now... the Nintendo switch has a clear plastic screen and mine scratched!!!!!! Ughhhhhhhh I cheapened out and didn’t by one until it was too late.

Last edited:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
i would say hell yes! Despite the BS Apple sates about this being the strongest glass ever, we know the glass back has proven to be simply inadequate and prone easily to breaking into a milkion little peices.

My screen already has a ton if hairline scratches and i have a case with a cober on it. IMO this is just Apple's disgraceful misrepresenting the durability of their product. We know their lying based on experinces folks have been having. I have the verizon care program so when it gets bad enough I will get another nut its barely been two months, dam man!

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I’ve always used a tempered glass screen along with a case and I’ve dropped my phone so many times and never had a screen crack or break. Ill be using one for my X coz it’ll be expensive to replace

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Not necessary. But, after almost a year scratch free I put my 7+ in same front pocket as a Surefire flashlight clipped onto outer edge. During that day the bezel on the business end of the light made contact with my 7+ screen--dead center--and cause two small scratch/gouges. Not visible with screen on, but very obvious with black screen. I got the Belkin Invisiglass Ultra put on my 8+ when buying it in the store.....

SnyG

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I’ve got a screen protector as well as Tech 21 case on my 8+ because I like to be able to chuck it in a handbag without worrying about anything happening to it (I also sell phones for a living and sometimes have to pass my phone to customers so they can play with it because our demo 8+ was robbed, and when I did that with my 7 before, the customer immediately dropped it on the desk). I will occasionally take the case off in bed to enjoy it au naturale... shut up.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
One has to be fairly rough or clumsy with their phone to really need a screen protector. My 6S+ that is two years old and has been through a lot does not have a scratch on it. The primary thing is to make sure the pocket you put it in is empty.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
One has to be fairly rough or clumsy with their phone to really need a screen protector. My 6S+ that is two years old and has been through a lot does not have a scratch on it. The primary thing is to make sure the pocket you put it in is empty.

no crap it’s still scratch free. But i just find it hard to believe there are no fine micro scratches. There are probably some but you just don’t wanna admit because the definition is subjective. It’s like a black car that’s well taken care of, from a distance it looks perfect and shiny as hell. Up close you will see fine micro scratches or swirls but not enough to consider it significant

My SE has been dropped so many times l, put in the same pocket as my keys. it has a tempered glass screen protector, but still looks good but there are fine scratches that’s noticeable up close

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I had a screen protector on my 7 plus since launch. However I was fed up because for some reason they kept cracking and I’d have to keep taking them off and reapplying them. One day I took it off with the intention to put it back on and I just didn’t get round to it. I used it sans screen protector for about 2 months before I got the X and I didn’t get any scratches. I do have a screen protector on my X though.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
I slide my phone into my pockets and I’m afraid of it getting scratched so I put one on. The screen protector these days are very clear and you can’t tell that you have it on!

plopbellie

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2015
Long story short. You pull your phone out of your pocket with your keys, or you’re on the beach, or any other either accident or just careless situation where you could scratch your 1000 dollar screen. Would you rather have to look at the scratch for the rest of the phones life, or just remove the protector and spend 10 bucks to get a new one, having the peace of mind that no matter how ****ed conditions your screen gets in, you can always just peel off the protector and have the scratches go away.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
a screen protector is a big help in avoiding micro scratches and blemishes from the oleophobic coating wearing off

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Used one once, dropped it then as the only time and the screen still smashed. Gone back to just not using one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
a screen protector is a big help in avoiding micro scratches and blemishes from the oleophobic coating wearing off

That's kind of contradictory. The oleophobic coating is naturally organic, which wears off eventually as it is. So it's meant as a basic layer of protection, which if you add a screen protector, you're not really taking advantage of the oleophobic coatings purpose.

Reactions: TokMok3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.