Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Just don't expect this stuff to change your life 100% for the positive.

Even when it doesn’t work 100% of the time my life has changed 100% for the positive. I’d love home automation even if it failed 50% of the time. Home automation has been life changing for me.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'll give a you a personal example where my home automation gear saved my bacon.

About a month ago I bought the Hubitat Elevation home automation hub ($69.99 on sale), mainly for some lighting and switch control. I also bought several of these Samsung moisture sensors ($17 each) to put under all my sinks. So about two weeks in I get an iPhone alert the guest bathroom leak sensor is showing "wet". I check, and sure enough, all wet in the cabinet under the sink from a slow drip at one of the water lines. This is a guest bathroom where we go weeks at a time without looking in that cupboard, so I'm thinking I would have had a a lot of water damage by the time I finally noticed the leak.

So yes, some of the home automation stuff is doing it just because you can and it is fun, but there are also things that can have real utility like my leak detector example.

71jAANEGGAL._SL1500_.jpg 71ttpykJl0L._SL1500_.jpg

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
Like anything else, Smart Home tech is "cool" when it works and majorly annoying/possibly dangerous when it doesn't.

E.g., asking Siri to raise the thermo temp 3 degrees and instead she pushes it to 98.
I read some really poor reviews of Homekit enabled AC thermostats, hence I used old fashioned programable one. It works well enough for me, 70F when I leave the house at 730am and 80F when I come back home at 5pm.

Otherwise I have HomePod, Philips hue lights/motion sensors and Serena Shades. These have worked 100% of the time in the past 1 month based on my cell phone location, time of a day, sun rise and sunset.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
It makes life easier for me personally. I wake up around 4am, and having my smart lights set to turn on at that time, and my AC to turn off makes it more likely that I will get up and not hit snooze when my alarm goes off in the morning. For me personally its not necessarily about solving problems, but definitely more of improving my quality of life.

Reactions: serpico007

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
In my home the ceiling fans were not wired separately (lights and fan) so i had to pull the chains which was a pain. I installed remote control modules with wifi and now i can turn control my lights and fan separately using my phone, the physical remote or using siri.

This is my setup. Do you mind sharing a few more details on how you did this? What products did you use?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Like anything else, Smart Home tech is "cool" when it works and majorly annoying/possibly dangerous when it doesn't.

E.g., asking Siri to raise the thermo temp 3 degrees and instead she pushes it to 98.

Or asking Siri to turn on the lights when your hands are full of something and she says "Hmmm, I can't do that right now".

Or setting a location-based automation that just never, EVER works.

Just don't expect this stuff to change your life 100% for the positive.

I set an "I'm leaving" routine to set my temperature to 84 degrees. That's great in the summer, not so much in the winter. Glad I caught that before I left for the day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.