Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Am looking for a used phone for a kid. Am considering a used Iphone 7 32 GB that is for sale near me.

Is this still worth buying in terms of being able to get any usable space on it after installing the latest OS and all that?

Big Stevie

Suspended
Jun 20, 2012
UK
32bg should be ok for a child, depending on what they want to store on it. They should be selling cheaper than the 64gb, as I'd expect there to be lots more 64gb iPhones for sale which folk would naturally go for, so don't pay over the odds.

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
Am looking for a used phone for a kid. Am considering a used Iphone 7 32 GB that is for sale near me.

Is this still worth buying in terms of being able to get any usable space on it after installing the latest OS and all that?

Me, still using 7 32 GB since day one.
No problem at all.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’m not sure. I find the storage low for any use like taking pics or movies. Sure, to operate and stream three YouTube videos fine but I’ll pick an SE with more storage any day.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
32GB is pretty small. Kids would likely load that up quick with games, photos and videos. There isn't much space left after the OS install and the amount of space you need to leave free for updates.

As the iPhone 7 is pretty old. You'd want to pay close attention to battery health. Otherwise the savings could be killed by the cost of getting the battery replaced.

Price is everything. Used sale prices of the 32GB and 128GB aren't much different on eBay. Just choose a seller using actual photos not example photos and a good reputation in your country. That's just to avoid return hassle. Buyer protection is too strong with eBay + Paypal to worry much about buying stuff.

Reactions: rui no onna

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

The iPhone 7 part should be fine, the 32 GB part depends on what the phone will be used for. If a good amount of games/apps and/or photos/videos would be involved, then 32 GB could be somewhat limiting, if not, then it should be fine.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The iPhone 7 is a crap shoot- especially if buying a used one. It might develop (or have) unrepairable audio problems or it might not. Of all the iPhones ever made since iPhone 1, the 7 is the worst one of the lot reliability wise. I have one (in a drawer)and would never recommend it to anyone

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
At least reach for an iPhone 8--those are VERY solid iPhones. The 8 series is probably the most reliable iPhone apple has ever made (and best)

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
The iPhone 7 is a crap shoot- especially if buying a used one. It might develop (or have) unrepairable audio problems or it might not. Of all the iPhones ever made since iPhone 1, the 7 is the worst one of the lot reliability wise. I have one (in a drawer)and would never recommend it to anyone

Mine, have no problem since day one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.