Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
I know Adobe is making Photoshop, etc. compatible with Apple Silicon in early 2021, but are there any issues so far with Adobe on Intel Macs running Big Sur?

I have an Early 2015 13" MBP (3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7) and was thinking of upgrading to Big Sur, but I need Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator & Premiere for my job everyday, hence the cautious approach.

Can't afford any major hiccups or seriously buggy software. Thoughts/experiences?

Last edited:

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
thank you all. seems it's business as usual. might go for that big sur update soon then, still going to wait a bit just to be on the safe side.

if anyone with more negative experiences does come across this thread, do share!

iPhoneEddie

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
We just got new computers here at work with Big Sur 11.1 running Adobe 2021. I'm able to print from Acrobat and Photoshop---but NOT Illustrator! So frustrating. It started out with the blacks printing out as grays and when I finally got colors to print, they were really washed out. We have a SAVIN MP C3004 printer and after I updated the printer driver, I was able to see good color, but the prints came out with bitmapped jagged edges (yes I turned off Print as Bitmap). And even more confusing is that this morning, I can't print ANY Illustrator documents and I didn't change a thing from yesterday. I hit Print and nothing. I have to save as a pdf and print it out from Acrobat and it comes out perfect.

When I called Adobe we went over the basic setting stuff and we both agreed it's probably a printer driver issue. But why can I print from Photoshop and Acrobat (and web pages) with no issues?? Prints come out perfect. There's so many printer profiles and other settings in the Print Dialogue box and I was playing around with some of them but none of them worked. I'm attaching a screen shot of an area of the dialogue box so you can see some of the settings I have.

I'm getting really aggravated so if someone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 8.51.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 8.51.07 AM.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
We just got new computers here at work with Big Sur 11.1 running Adobe 2021. I'm able to print from Acrobat and Photoshop---but NOT Illustrator! So frustrating. It started out with the blacks printing out as grays and when I finally got colors to print, they were really washed out. We have a SAVIN MP C3004 printer and after I updated the printer driver, I was able to see good color, but the prints came out with bitmapped jagged edges (yes I turned off Print as Bitmap). And even more confusing is that this morning, I can't print ANY Illustrator documents and I didn't change a thing from yesterday. I hit Print and nothing. I have to save as a pdf and print it out from Acrobat and it comes out perfect.

When I called Adobe we went over the basic setting stuff and we both agreed it's probably a printer driver issue. But why can I print from Photoshop and Acrobat (and web pages) with no issues?? Prints come out perfect. There's so many printer profiles and other settings in the Print Dialogue box and I was playing around with some of them but none of them worked. I'm attaching a screen shot of an area of the dialogue box so you can see some of the settings I have.

I'm getting really aggravated so if someone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

What if you save the file as a .pdf and print that? It can be a good workflow for CMYK printing.

Depending on the printer, I tend to print .pdf files as a first preference. Nothing to do with OP question about Big Sur...just a reasonable workflow/work-around for graphic design printing in general.

Oh, and I don't see a Ricoh driver in your screenshot. Is there none available? I see drivers here, including for OS 11.

Some folks have good luck (more accurate color) matching the document profile and printer profile. Hypotheciatilly, that should produce accurate color...setting aside paper specifics. Probably worth trying.

Last edited:

iPhoneEddie

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
What if you save the file as a .pdf and print that? It can be a good workflow for CMYK printing.

Depending on the printer, I tend to print .pdf files as a first preference. Nothing to do with OP question about Big Sur...just a reasonable workflow/work-around for graphic design printing in general.

Oh, and I don't see a Ricoh driver in your screenshot. Is there none available? I see drivers here, including for OS 11.

Some folks have good luck (more accurate color) matching the document profile and printer profile. Hypotheciatilly, that should produce accurate color...setting aside paper specifics. Probably worth trying.
Thanks hobowan. Yes, pdf works great like I said. But it's time consuming to keep saving AI files as pdfs just to print (it adds up). The Ricoh is there...

I did find the reason they weren't printing--I was in 2020. I launched 2021 and files are printing. But although the colors are fine, it's still printing out with jagged edges. I know it's some sort of resolution issue and I'll guess I'll have to keep digging unless someone can direct me to an exact solution. Like I said, Print with Bitmap box is not checked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.