Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagleh0rn_maj0r_665

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
It's an older (2010) 15" MacBook Pro I still own which keeps astounding me on how excellent it still runs after all these years, (I am not a gamer though).

The only problem is it's manifesting some GPU glitches sometimes, like when opening some big sized PNG images on Preview (not always though). Or sometimes when using Firefox, but I switched to Opera, so that is no longer an issue, actually.

I wish to connect it to an external monitor. Should I or will it put a strain on the GPU? Like glitches occuring much more often, thus rendering the whole experience unpleasant/pointless? Or maybe even fry the GPU altogether? Like I said I don't game, it's mostly for the purpose of more efficient apps' windows multi-tasking.

Its built-in screen is 15" @900p and the monitor I intend to buy is 24-27", 60-75hz @1440p and I'll use miniDP-to-DP.

Also, I plan for the MBP to always be on top of a turned ON cooling pad while connected to the monitor, if that makes a difference. Inside it's also clean from dust, and its fans are working fine, according to TG Pro (I rarely hear them run).

Edit: I forgot to mention I don't need both screens at the same time. Just the external monitor running and the built-in screen turned OFF

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I don't think you will have an issue at all.

I run my Late 2011 17" MBP with an external monitor in clamshell mode without issues. I am using this ultra wide monitor in 2560 x 1080:

Reactions: eagleh0rn_maj0r_665

eagleh0rn_maj0r_665

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
I don't think you will have an issue at all.

I run my Late 2011 17" MBP with an external monitor in clamshell mode without issues. I am using this ultra wide monitor in 2560 x 1080:

Clamshell mode is when the MBP's screen/tray is folded and only the external monitor is working, right?

Would I be able to utilize its supposedly maximum external monitor supported resolution of 2560x1600, you think, or would that be too much? Not on an ultrawide monitor though, just the typical 16:9 one, as I find vertical real estate more useful than horizontal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.