Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are u experiencing battery issues with iOS 8.4.1 ?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
I have an iPhone 5S, I downgraded from iOS 9 2 days before apple stopped signing iOS 8.4.1. I've been experiencing some battery issues, the battery barely stands for 5 hours which isn't very nice. I think I'm not doing some intensive working on the phone, I don't know if this is a software problem with iOS 8.4.1 or is something wrong with my battery and needs changing.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
What apps do you use?

I get 5 hours at most with all kinds of things disabled (background refresh, system location settings, cellular settings for many apps like app store, etc). I have notification on for Line, Outlook, weather app and Yahoo news. Brightness is mostly at 25% ~ 50%. I don't use FB, Twitter, etc. And sometimes I get this:

859c6b05733cdf3f5c246acdc010c446.jpg

Note that I used YouTube before fully recharging the phone.

My 5S was purchased in March. I took my phone in to Apple Store for battery test, and health was good.

Did you get better battery life prior to updating to 9 and then downgrading to 8 again?

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
What apps do you use?

I get 5 hours at most with all kinds of things disabled (background refresh, system location settings, cellular settings for many apps like app store, etc). I have notification on for Line, Outlook, weather app and Yahoo news. Brightness is mostly at 25% ~ 50%. I don't use FB, Twitter, etc. And sometimes I get this:

859c6b05733cdf3f5c246acdc010c446.jpg

Note that I used YouTube before fully recharging the phone.

My 5S was purchased in March. I took my phone in to Apple Store for battery test, and health was good.

Did you get better battery life prior to updating to 9 and then downgrading to 8 again?

I get about 5 to 6 hours of good usage, I discovered that the Touch ID takes a lot of battery life which is not mentioned in the battery usage, I disabled it, after 2.5 hours of usage, it went from 89 to 46 %, which i think is not that bad compared to how many hours of usage before disabling. I tried iOS 9 as soon as the public beta was out, battery had some huge issues, device used to shut down mostly at 15 % (on iOS 8, it actually occurred 1 time that my 5S shut down at 12% like 3 to 4 weeks ago, it never happened again), all I can say is that iOS 9's battery is very limited and sometimes not useful for iPhone (iPads battery is simply amazing). I tried iOS 9.1 after iOS 9.0 was out, battery was about the same with tiny bug fixes, I got very bored of how iOS 9 made my device perform and how it made me charge my iPhone 2 times a day, I downgraded to iOS 8.4.1, it was good in the beginning compared to 9 but unfortunately all users (including me) had or still have those battery bugs that are specially integrated into iOS 8.4.1 out of all other iOS 8 upgrade "i think it's probably weird cause it is the only problematic iOS 8 which makes me think that apple did that to force people to try iOS 9, probably because they do not know anything about how it performs and how battery is like". I'll be waiting for the ideal version of iOS 9 so I could upgrade to an acceptable version "I won't say bug free" but the version that matches the level of the 64 bit architecture device. Lastly I wanted to ask you a question, How can I know if It's a battery problem or a software issue? , I've been using this iPhone since 2013 and I don't know if the battery needs replacement or is it ok.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
. Lastly I wanted to ask you a question, How can I know if It's a battery problem or a software issue? , I've been using this iPhone since 2013 and I don't know if the battery needs replacement or is it ok.

You can take your iPhone to Apple Store for battery diagnosis. A Genius will connect the iPhone to iPad, which is modified to run diagnostic app, to check the battery health.

Or you can download an app that can monitor charge cycles, system resources, etc. I'm sorry I can't recommend any because I don't have such app myself, but it should at least give you insight.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Download coconutbattery to your mac and connect your iPhone via USB.

It will tell you how many battery cycles you have and loads of great battery info.

very similar to what Apple will tell you at the Genius Bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.