Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I wouldn't mind a mac protector... maybe a piece of rubber or something for the stainless steel watches to keep from scratching the macbooks or pcs up as people like to use the computer as wrist rester.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This Apple Watch is not necessarily one I want to keep for a long time. I want to replace it in a couple of years and I want to maximize the resale value. I'll try a case for a while.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i saw spigen make a clear case that I might pick up for the summer. I work at a travel camp and could see this getting destroyed while at amusement parks and the random game of ultimate frisbee :p

Since its the sport i'm looking at a screen protector as well... i don't care what you say, I rather have it on from day one then not have it

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No it's not. I'm sorry but it's NOT!:(

That bumper is HIDEOUS!

Agreed. I'm not sure why people want to put a bumper on a watch. It's going to get scratched. It's not a big deal. If people are concerned about breaking it, then AppleCare+ is a better option. A bumper won't protect against a collision that would break the watch.

If people are worried about scratching the crystal, they should get the stainless steel. Sapphire won't scratch unless you rub a diamond or another sapphire/ruby/emerald against it.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm thinking about it as well. I do like the Lunatik one coming to kickstarter. And the Spider ones look okay as well.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
If you want a case, get a case. asking people in this forum this question will bring out all the fashion buffs, and they really hate having a case on a watch. I for one will be buying a case, but some of these people take it as a personal affront to them if you want one. and some will say scratches on the watch shows character :rolleyes:
Go back and read my post. I think it's clear that I wasn't asking anyone on what I should do. My question was for folks such as yourself as to why you would actually consider buying a case for a wrist-watch. I just don't see it, and that's not a fashion statement. Watches are not new technology. People have used them, including hella more expensive models, for a hundred of years now just fine without cases. Active lifestyles are nothing new either, and watches have survived. Why all of a sudden with AW is a case suddenly an attractive add on? It seems almost neurotic, in a way. But that's just how I see it.

----------

This Apple Watch is not necessarily one I want to keep for a long time. I want to replace it in a couple of years and I want to maximize the resale value. I'll try a case for a while.
I thought about that angle. Then again on gazelle, have you seen the difference between a pristine iPhone and a less pristine iPhone? It's like only 10, 20 or $30 worth the difference. Is the extra money you spend on a case going to be made up in higher resale? Or will it be a wash? I don't know. But I wouldn't count on resale as a driving factor for decisions going forward. Then again that's just me, others may think differently. :)

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Apple's vanity sells pretty devices. Some obsessive buyers worry about the smallest sign of scratches as it's more important to them to get maximum resale. It will be interesting to see this play out

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Apple's vanity sells pretty devices. Some obsessive buyers worry about the smallest sign of scratches as it's more important to them to get maximum resale. It will be interesting to see this play out

I wonder what kind of resale value these devices will carry come v2. Why would someone get a year old v1 when the inevitable advancements of v2 are available? These aren't unlocked phones...
Yes. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. My plan is to enjoy my watch, starting sometime in June, and worry about v2 when v2 arrives.

Over the years, I've purchased a few phone cases. Always end up not using them. Same goes for my iPhone 6. Got the rubber Apple case at launch. But now only use it on rare occasions where she may get banged up more than normal. But 95% of the time, naked as a jaybird.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Over the years, I've purchased a few phone cases. Always end up not using them. Same goes for my iPhone 6.
I agree with your take. However, when it comes to cell phones, I definitely see a place for a case and screen protector. My phone falls out of my pocket from 2 feet onto a hard driveway, gets knocked of the table by the cat, and sat on when someone gets in the car. They are kind of a disconnected devices that are naturally prone to being dropped. Unlike say, a wrist watch, that is strapped to my wrist during normal activities. I may be an anomaly, but I don't tend to mindlessly slam my hands/wrists into objects. OTOH, most the wear and tear is probably chronic, not an acute impact. So I guess if you are ok looking at a plastic cover, then you'll save a little of the beauty rash from daily use. but why buy an AW, or any other watch, just to cover it up?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I'm thinking of buying the shells/cases Spigen has that are on Amazon. They look nice and I want to protect my investment of the apple watch. I also bought a Tech Armor Glass screen protector for my Apple watch 42mm.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
It's a personal choice, but I for one think putting on a bumper will make this look unwieldy. Film would be the most I would go. YMMV.

Boxmonkey

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2015
I usually wear a G-shock to work because at my job a watch is very likely to get beaten up. I'll use a case at work but not while out and about. I've already backed the Bumper. I hope it makes it into production. I'm sure someone else will make a case for it within a few months of the release.
An ugly watch at work is better than a broken screen.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I wonder what kind of resale value these devices will carry come v2. Why would someone get a year old v1 when the inevitable advancements of v2 are available? These aren't unlocked phones...
Yes. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. My plan is to enjoy my watch, starting sometime in June, and worry about v2 when v2 arrives.

I predict resale will be lower than we're used to for a few reasons. Yet I could be off the mark if novice buyers are unaware that Apple pushes iOS updates out for a limited time after which they no longer support the device. Traditional watches don't have this limitation and therefore have a vastly longer service life.

Yet that said with Apple muscling this phone into the forefront of the publics mind based on almost unlimited cost is no object marketing, resale could get caught up in the hype bubble and keep resale artificially high.

My plan? The same as yours.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I'd buy Apple care before I bought a bumper. Wearing protective shields on jewelry is just off-putting to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.