Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
I was using a cheap android all summer waiting on last night's keynote. And well it was underwhelming. 13 basically the 12, anything decent was on the pro which was never gonna be an option for me due to price. It just kinda feels like apple has lost its way. Same old same old with not much innovation. Was also ready to purchase a new watch but again basically 7=6. I'll hold out another few weeks to see what the pixel 6 has on offer. I'm not in the apple eco system as such anyway so it's no big loss for me.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Nope not me. I recently tried a pixel 5a and for me Android is sooo annoying.

There’s also no viable smartwatch option on Android.

Unfortunately there is no comparable ecosystem in the Android universe that even can come close to ’s.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Not a chance. No other phone manufacturer supports their devices as long as Apple does. I'm still on my much loved iPhone 6s that launched in 2015. Show me a Pixel that is as old and still receiving OS updates still. Nobody can show me because there isn't one. I've gotten 6 years of service out of my iPhone and am already confirmed for an iOS 15 update. Support alone is the reason I will not be leaving iPhone any time soon. Build quality is just icing on the cake.

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
I was using a cheap android all summer waiting on last night's keynote. And well it was underwhelming. 13 basically the 12, anything decent was on the pro which was never gonna be an option for me due to price. It just kinda feels like apple has lost its way. Same old same old with not much innovation. Was also ready to purchase a new watch but again basically 7=6. I'll hold out another few weeks to see what the pixel 6 has on offer. I'm not in the apple eco system as such anyway so it's no big loss for me.
I'm already leaving. Apple has lost its way. Just works design + privacy. Apple no longer delivers these. It seems like no closed source company can.

Therefore open source is the only possibility. It's not really "just works" yet but it's improving. I switched to a System76 laptop last month. Disabled iCloud and keychain manager and Messages. iDevices become a lot less thrilling after that.

Thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ce.2309727/page-8?post=30271291#post-30271291

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Seriously? I found the iphone 13 base model to be quite well equipped from last year. . If it wasn't for the screen size ( as I prefer big screen ) it's one I would have chosen.
Nope not me. I recently tried a pixel 5a and for me Android is sooo annoying.

There’s also no viable smartwatch option on Android.

Unfortunately there is no comparable ecosystem in the Android universe that even can come close to ’s.
You know why? They're all the same Google OS with a few Tweeks here and there by the phone manufacturer.

• Haha
Reactions: carbphrek and dk001

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Reactions: Mr. Awesome

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
If you're not invested in the Apple ecosystem, you definitely have choices, and if you enjoy using an Android device, go for it. Thats always my advice to friends and family who aren't as invested in the Apple ecosystem like I and many others are. For me, a non-iOS device is a non-starter. I've been using iPhone since the beginning, Macs before that, and like me my immediate family are all Apple product users, mostly because I keep buying Apple products for them to use :)

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
I would consider it, but what would be better? You don't have to be excited about the latest and greatest iPhone to enjoy an iPhone, especially since many of the recent models work decently.
Depends on what you call "better". To me privacy seems best protected by open source, so Linux based systems are now better. Android, Windows, and Apple are out.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Depends on what you call "better". To me privacy seems best protected by open source, so Linux based systems are now better. Android, Windows, and Apple are out.

I don't know how to use Linux unfortunately. I used Windows for years and now Mac for many years. Used an Android back in the day for a week and didn't like it as much as iOS

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
I don't know how to use Linux unfortunately. I used Windows for years and now Mac for many years. Used an Android back in the day for a week and didn't like it as much as iOS
Same here. I want a "just works" computer. Linux is getting closer every day -- but it's not there yet. Maybe in 5 years.

But I'm not a mechanic. That's why I bought from System76. They are a Linux-focused computer maker with a great support team. It's not exactly "just works" yet but it's close.

If you can support Linux in some way in the meantime it will help. That's how I think of it at least, I donate money to Ubuntu and other open source creators.

Reactions: !!!

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
I've had all kinds of phones in the past, including a few android devices in the early years of iPhone. Yes there has been a lack of exciting or innovative updates and Apple is slower to roll out certain tech compared to Samsung. However...

I'll never move away from an iPhone. iPhone just works. Even with 120hz on the flagship Galaxy phones, it still doesn't feel as smooth to scroll compared to even iPhones from years ago. I've never had an iPhone crash or freeze, stutter or lag, even older iPhones running the latest iOS. Not saying android phones do that, but on the rare occasion I've used one, I've always had something not work as it should - a slight bit of lag, a brief pause opening something etc. I've never had that with iPhone.

No they might not have the latest gimmicks or take a long time to catch up, but iPhone always feels the epitome of refinement. iOS is so incredibly optimised that no version of android can really match. They're getting better, but they're not on Apple's level yet.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Same here. I want a "just works" computer. Linux is getting closer every day -- but it's not there yet. Maybe in 5 years.

But I'm not a mechanic. That's why I bought from System76. They are a Linux-focused computer maker with a great support team. It's not exactly "just works" yet but it's close.

If you can support Linux in some way in the meantime it will help. That's how I think of it at least, I donate money to Ubuntu and other open source creators.

I've heard open source is really good because anyone can read the code and make sure there's nothing malicious in it, but I have also heard that open source can be bad because everyone can see the code, including hackers, who could figure out exploits. Is this true?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I've heard open source is really good because anyone can read the code and make sure there's nothing malicious in it, but I have also heard that open source can be bad because everyone can see the code, including hackers, who could figure out exploits. Is this true?
Open source means good and bad programmers have the same access.

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
Gotta be honest - we're hitting limits on mobile devices. There's not too many items out there now that are making huge, earth shattering changes, unless you find foldable phones a thing. I'd rather have a bunch of devices whose updates are "ho hum", and yet integrate so smoothly amongst it's mobile / tablet / desktop / notebook architecture, than to have a bunch of devices that are tricked out as ****, but if I want to transfer stuff over or do any cross communication, it becomes crap.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Open source means good and bad programmers have the same access.

Got it, thanks.

Sorry to get off topic. OP, I think if you want to try something new that is up to you. There is nothing wrong with it. I have tried androids. I used PC for a long time. I tried going back but didn't care much for the hardware. The software was fine and even enjoyable, although the updates that take forever were a bit annoying.

Android though....that was a different story haha. These days it might have improved especially if you buy a solid phone from a reputable company and not some off brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.