Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
I've been running Monterey betas since the beginning and haven't ran into install issues until beta 7. When I checked for updates I got the full installer this time (11.5GB!). After launching and starting the install process the progress gets stuck every time with around 52 minutes remaining and doesn't budge. I left it running for a hour hand a half and it was still stuck at the same point.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? I ran into it once with the macOS 11 betas on my M1 machine and I eventually had to run a IPSW restore from another mac to get the installer to actually finish.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I believe there is an issue with the installer. I would recommending a bit until it is sorted out.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Has anyone else ran into this issue? I ran into it once with the macOS 11 betas on my M1 machine and I eventually had to run a IPSW restore from another mac to get the installer to actually finish.
I had the same problem. Downloaded the full installer on my M1 mac mini as Software Update wasn't finding beta 7. Hanging at 52 mins. In the end I launched Software Update with the installer still hanging at 52 mins. To my surprise Software Update was now showing Beta 7 (3.5Gb). I launched the on update Software Update and stopped the full installer and it worked. Beta 7 installed within 25 mins.
It is a strange workaround but it worked for me.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
The SharedSupport folder is missing from the Contents folder in the full installer.

If you just want an update, just download the smaller delta update.

However if you want to make a bootable usb of beta 7 you will have to fix the full installer by moving the SharedSupport folder into the Contents folder

The missing SharedSuppport folder would explain the hanging installation if you used the full installer.

Details:

Last edited:

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
If you just want an update, just download the smaller delta update.

However if you want to make a bootable usb of beta 7 you will have to fix the full installer by moving the SharedSupport folder into the Contents folder

The missing SharedSuppport folder would explain the hanging installation if you used the full installer.
I noted the error I get (installer is damaged) in that other thread. Thanks for the tip, though – I knew something was weird when I realized the installer app was so tiny but figured it was just a new way the installer was set up. Interestingly, I've noticed if you run the installer as-is and leave it you end up with a mounted SharedSupport image at some point. Not quite sure where that's from.

I've looked for a downloadable delta installer but haven't found anything. If you know of where I can look that would be great.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
The delta is just the usual 2 or 3 GB updates via software update panel. AFAIK they don't seem to be available anymore as standalone installers. They are no good for making a bootable usb though. For that you need the full installer. I often update with the deltas because they are quicker - but later download the full installers anyway to make the bootable usbs.

The "hanging" might just be that it is downloading SharedSupport in the background. Seems to be "hanging" because it is so huge.

Doesn't really help if you are trying to make a bootable usb. In fact when you try making a bootable usb with the tiny installer app it just gives an error.

It makes no sense to download a huge InstallAssistant.pkg installer, only to end up with a tiny installer app and then using that it redownloads the huge SharedSupport which is part of InstallAssistant.pkg anyway!

If they say this is a feature, not a bug, I'll say they are lying and are only trying to save face from their stuff-up. Even if it is a feature ............. it's still a stuff up!

Last edited:

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
The "hanging" might just be that it is downloading SharedSupport in the background. Seems to be "hanging" because it is so huge.
Sadly, leaving it alone for hours (literally overnight) doesn't eventually allow the installer to get past the oddly consistent 52 minute mark. Clearly, something is awry here but it's odd that some people can get it to work and others are still stuck.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Sadly, leaving it alone for hours (literally overnight) doesn't eventually allow the installer to get past the oddly consistent 52 minute mark. Clearly, something is awry here but it's odd that some people can get it to work and others are still stuck.
I would give up on trying to run the tiny installer app. Even if it works for some, it's a terrible way to do it.

I would say either use delta update - or if you download the full installer, fix it first before using it.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
I would give up on trying to run the tiny installer app. Even if it works for some, it's a terrible way to do it.

I would say either use delta update - or if you download the full installer, fix it first before using it.
Yeah, I mentioned in the other thread that moving the SharedSupport.dmg into a SharedSupport folder in the installer results in a "damaged installer" error when I try to run it.

Do you have a direct link to the delta installer? I can't find one anywhere.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Yeah, I mentioned in the other thread that moving the SharedSupport.dmg into a SharedSupport folder in the installer results in a "damaged installer" error when I try to run it.

Do you have a direct link to the delta installer? I can't find one anywhere.
They don't seem to have standalone deltas anymore. It's just via Software Update preference pane.

So what if you have hundreds of macs to update - or what if you have no internet? Not very helpful is it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.