Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
AMD offers semi-custom solutions. Just look at the gaming consoles. If Apple wants a semi-custom EPYC equivalent processor that has a higher clock speed they could get it.
Wow, imagine the screaming from the "proprietary lockup" crowd if Apple shipped with a proprietary CPU from AMD. Besides, I think if AMD could produce such a CPU in the quantities Apple would need, Apple wouldn't need to get a semi-custom solution, AMD would already be making it.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Wow, imagine the screaming from the "proprietary lockup" crowd if Apple shipped with a proprietary CPU from AMD. Besides, I think if AMD could produce such a CPU in the quantities Apple would need, Apple wouldn't need to get a semi-custom solution, AMD would already be making it.

Intel have sometimes given custom processors to Apple. I don't see the big fuss. The TDP would just be adjusted upwards to the same as Threadripper. No biggie.

blackadde

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019

MPs would require a require a tiny fraction of AMD’s (and therefore GlobalFoundries) output. It isn’t unreasonable to assume for a high margin halo product like the Mac Pro that AMD could just bin the top 5-10% of EPYC chips and run them at higher clocks. That doesn’t require new silicon or any kind of proprietary development process.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
AMD offers semi-custom solutions. Just look at the gaming consoles. If Apple wants a semi-custom EPYC equivalent processor that has a higher clock speed they could get it.

If they are willing to pay for it is the issue.
[automerge]1578346533[/automerge]
MPs would require a require a tiny fraction of AMD’s (and therefore GlobalFoundries) output. It isn’t unreasonable to assume for a high margin halo product like the Mac Pro that AMD could just bin the top 5-10% of EPYC chips and run them at higher clocks. That doesn’t require new silicon or any kind of proprietary development process.

AMD doesn't use Global Founderies - They use TSMC.

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
You do realize that there can be no proprietary lockup from AMD, because it is the same bloody ISA as Intel?

How do you think otherwise Ryzen Hackintoshes were running from DAY ONE?

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
AMD announced that the their mobile Ryzen mobile CPUs: 8 cores/16 threads, Radeon 8 graphics @15 watts.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
AMD announced that the their mobile Ryzen mobile CPUs: 8 cores/16 threads, Radeon 8 graphics @15 watts.
AMD's TDP rating is always at boost clocks compared to Intels at stock cklocks.

So yes, those CPUs from AMD will run circles around Intel.

But even funnier is Threadripper 3990X. 64C/128T for 3990$, that is faster than dual 28C Xeons.

Reactions: ssgbryan

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
AMD just announced the Threadripper 3990X (64 Core / 128 Thread) for $3,990 launches Feb 7th. The Mac Pro was never the fastest (Threadripper 32 Core won that) but now this is just ridiculous.

This 64 Core chip will be more than twice as fast. Like 2.3x faster for $3,990 + $450-$700 Motherboard (depending on the features). I wish Apple had gone with this socket.

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
AMD is now claiming the worlds best laptop processor. Not only do they want to catch up in mobile, they want to dominate.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I remembered I tried Ubuntu 14 years ago. I couldn't figure out how to install programs in a user friendly method. You don't simply just double click on executables if I remember correctly. I did however get the OS installed so I made it that far. I may have gotten Firefox running as well. Linux is not a viable desktop platform for the masses.

Every modern linux has firefox installed by default. Installing apps is from the "app store", exactly the same as macOS.

Maybe you should take another look, things have changed in the past 1.5 decades.

edit:
blah, old post bumped..

But yes, expect AMD to start to dominate in laptop CPUs too in short order.

The only reason they aren't already is that they are limited in what they can currently ship due to supply. They are selling everything they can build right now, and in Europe in the self-built market they are now outselling intel at 9:1 according to various stats for online stores (computerbase.de)

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
But yes, expect AMD to start to dominate in laptop CPUs too in short order.

The only reason they aren't already is that they are limited in what they can currently ship due to supply. They are selling everything they can build right now, and in Europe in the self-built market they are now outselling intel at 9:1 according to various stats for online stores (computerbase.de)
From Q2 2020 they will have 30000 Wafers each month available to them at TSMC's fabs. Thats is plenty enough, to supply everything they need to ;).

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
You do realize that there can be no proprietary lockup from AMD, because it is the same bloody ISA as Intel?

How do you think otherwise Ryzen Hackintoshes were running from DAY ONE?
The point is that people wouldn't be able to "upgrade" using a non-Apple CPU. If they use a compatible socket, there might be non-Apple CPU's in the future, but all of the existing non-Apple CPU's at launch would be downgrades.

The point is not how much of the foundry's output this would be, but whether AMD can realize yields out of those wafers to meet demand. My point is, that if they could, they already would be making those CPUs.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
The point is that people wouldn't be able to "upgrade" using a non-Apple CPU. If they use a compatible socket, there might be non-Apple CPU's in the future, but all of the existing non-Apple CPU's at launch would be downgrades.

The point is not how much of the foundry's output this would be, but whether AMD can realize yields out of those wafers to meet demand. My point is, that if they could, they already would be making those CPUs.
It would be EXTREMELY hard to pull off. Extremely hard.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007

AMD currently has incredible yield numbers due to their chiplet designs. Later on this year Apple will move off 7nm to 5nm at TSMC opening up more wafer capacity for AMD to purchase.

This is AMD's moment.

Reactions: ssgbryan and throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
That shouldn't concern you unless you are enthusiast and intend to overclock your CPUs. EPYCs and Workstation Xeons are guaranteed to run at those specifications at rated power.

Oh ho ho... you may want to look up how intel TDP works.

TDP on intel is for BASE CLOCK. They aren't guaranteed to run anything above BASE.

Boost is well beyond the rated TDP and only guaranteed for a short period of time (seconds) on a limited number of cores.

AMD's TDP ratings are different, but closer to actual reality these days when running at boost.
[automerge]1578356199[/automerge]
From Q2 2020 they will have 30000 Wafers each month available to them at TSMC's fabs. Thats is plenty enough, to supply everything they need to ;).

Yup. Just. But we aren't in Q2 2020 yet :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ssgbryan

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
AMD's TDP rating is always at boost clocks compared to Intels at stock cklocks.

So yes, those CPUs from AMD will run circles around Intel.

But even funnier is Threadripper 3990X. 64C/128T for 3990$, that is faster than dual 28C Xeons.

I can't believe they are selling it for that price - I was sure they would price it for at least $4,999.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Oh ho ho... you may want to look up how intel TDP works.

TDP on intel is for BASE CLOCK. They aren't guaranteed to run anything above BASE.

Boost is well beyond the rated TDP and only guaranteed for a short period of time (seconds) on a limited number of cores.

They have rated speed for all-core turbo boost, not as high as single core boost but they are higher than Base clock. On supposed all-core turbo boost, they don't go above rated TDP.
Except 28-core "enthusiast" Xeon (which is basically HEDT in Xeon name), Xeons run at rated TDP. Its those Intel's HEDT that can be pushed beyond rated speed that pushes beyond above rated TDP. None of Apple products use that so it is not really the problem for iMac Pros/Mac Pros.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
They have rated speed for all-core turbo boost, not as high as single core boost but they are higher than Base clock. On supposed all-core turbo boost, they don't go above rated TDP.
Except 28-core "enthusiast" Xeon (which is basically HEDT in Xeon name), Xeons run at rated TDP. Its those Intel's HEDT that can be pushed beyond rated speed that pushes beyond above rated TDP. None of Apple products use that so it is not really the problem for iMac Pros/Mac Pros.

Go watch some testing of intel CPUs (anything from i3 and up) and see how their actual power consumption fares vs. rated TDP.

Compare to how AMD's products fare on the same tests.

i.e., learn what the power consumption vs boost is in real life, vs. what intel's marketing department would have you believe.

edit:
we aren't in 2015 any more. the whole "AMD = furnace, nuclear power required" meme isn't a thing any more. It's now intel facing that situation.

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
I have tested the power tables from "35W" TDP Core i7-9700T. During load, this 35W TDP CPU draws 92W of power. CPU alone.

If I will switch off Turbo, completely, it never exceedes 35W of power draw. With good Mobo, like Asus's I can fiddle with power tables of said CPU. But it is not a 35W TDP Processor.

Any Intel CPU will ever have TDP rated only for base clocks.

Computerbase.de some time ago tested the 8700T and it was 82W TDP CPU. Unless they switched off the Turbo, then obviously it was always 35W TDP :).

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The new AMD laptop CPUs are interesting - assuming available quantities line up, Apple could now potentially go AMD across the Mac line, except for REALLY low-power laptops (where ARM is a viable option) and with a tradeoff in the Mac Pro - many more cores, but very slow base and boost clocks (EPYC).

The iMac and iMac Pro would be big winners (Ryzen 9 and Threadripper respectively).

The other big winner is the 13" MBP - those 15 watt Ryzen 4000 mobiles seem to offer a lot of performance per watt...

I've always thought that Apple could release some ARM Macs in ultra mobile and low-end categories without getting in the software trouble they'd get in if they tried to build, say, an ARM MacBook Pro. Simply lock those machines to the Mac App Store and don't even offer emulation. On a 1.8 lb MacBook, most users aren't going to care that the Word that's available is a Catalysted version of Word for iPad, and nobody's going to TRY to do much with Photoshop.

Apple even has existing branding to cover this situation - use the word Pro to identify Intel/AMD Macs - anything without the Pro brand is ARM. A MacBook Pro is exactly what you expect it is - there's a powerful Core or Ryzen CPU, and it runs software from wherever. A MacBook is super-light, and it runs software from the Mac App Store (which is required to have an ARM binary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.