Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmilan0302

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2019
I got convinced to buy a Ryzen processor for a build I was doing... and, well, I regretted it immediately; I was lucky that I was able to return the parts. No matter what OS I tried (Windows, OSX, and Linux), my system would intermittently lock up for bout 15 seconds at a time. A friend's system did the same thing. In addition, the motherboard I was using—which was not a cheap board—had input lag... of all things. So, when I plugged in a keyboard and tried typing on it, my strokes were noticeably delayed. I tried several other keyboards, and I still felt the lag. I had never experienced anything like it. So, I returned both pieces of garbage (the AMD CPU and the motherboard), and I settled for an equivalent Intel CPU and a cheaper LGA motherboard. And, problem solved. No issues since. The computer runs better than it ever had.
My Ryzen PC has been absolutely rock solid stable since I built it back in September 2017. No matter what OS I ran, even Windows 7 or macOS 10.13, it was completely stable. It is also the only computer I've used on which Windows 10 runs flawlessly without any issues. You must've got a bad motherboard or something.

Reactions: Mago and Marekul

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Honestly the first iteration of Ryzen was quite finicky. The boards, annoyingly buggy. But now with the 3rd gen stuff it's really polished. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend 3rd gen Ryzen or Threadripper.

Reactions: jinnyman

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Yeah, there was pretty large number of compatibility issues with Zen 1 launch (series 1000) and Zen 2 Launch(Series 3000). Heck, even Linux OS support was terrible at the start for 3000 series, and Navi GPUs.

Currently there are still some problems unresolved in AMD software, but here is the thing.

If anyone would ask me in 2019 what CPU for Gaming: I say Intel. If anyone ask me what CPU for professional work in 2019? I say AMD.

If anyone ask me in 2020 what CPU for... anything: I say AMD.

Reactions: Marekul

macjunkie2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
You Ess Eh
I got convinced to buy a Ryzen processor for a build I was doing... and, well, I regretted it immediately; I was lucky that I was able to return the parts. No matter what OS I tried (Windows, OSX, and Linux), my system would intermittently lock up for bout 15 seconds at a time. A friend's system did the same thing. In addition, the motherboard I was using—which was not a cheap board—had input lag... of all things. So, when I plugged in a keyboard and tried typing on it, my strokes were noticeably delayed. I tried several other keyboards, and I still felt the lag. I had never experienced anything like it. So, I returned both pieces of garbage (the AMD CPU and the motherboard), and I settled for an equivalent Intel CPU and a cheaper LGA motherboard. And, problem solved. No issues since. The computer runs better than it ever had.

You and your friend might have needed help building a PC.

I just built my first Ryzen system (not first PC), w/o major issues (X570/2700x/RTX2070). Hardware build for ThreadRipper can be a bit more touchy, but Ryzen AM4 is reasonably straight forward. The most difficult software setup for Ryzen can be overclocking ram, but not required.

I do notice a weird Wacom tablet sensitivity issue in one app but not the other.

I still run my Dual MP , next to the Ryzen systems, and the Ryzen often a bit faster (w/o overclock) in single thread scores and rendering (this was in Windows, have not installed as Hackintosh yet) The CPU I used was a Ryzen 2700X (on sale from Amazon ~$140) and will upgrade to a new Ryzen when prices drop, as well as add Thunderbolt 3 later.

I agree w others that Apple has added far too much bloat/iOS crap to OSX, so just like in windows, I find ways to disable as much of it as possible. The first software I install on Windowis good anti-virus/malware/firewall tools.

Mac OS has a distinct advantage on being more idiot proof that I am thankful for. For my family at home they use Mac OS and Chrome.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Am I missing something? Are the professional-grade AMD CPUs decent? Because, from my experience, the consumer lineup is still garbage—even post-Ryzen.

What is your experience, specifically - why are they garbage? I run one and it is light years ahead of the i7-6700 in my work machine.

You're also at odds with the prevailing attitude of basically every professional tester on the internet at this point.
[automerge]1581469185[/automerge]
No matter what OS I tried (Windows, OSX, and Linux), my system would intermittently lock up for bout 15 seconds at a time.

You got a faulty board or other component. It happens.

RMA it, move on.

My 2700X has been solid for 12+ months.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Opteron isn't "post ryzen" as per the original poster's assessment of "garbage". The opteron line goes back to 2003.

Which is when intel were producing hot (literally) garbage with the pentium 4 netburst architecture, and Apple was on PowerPC.

The P4 ran cooler than the G5 while running faster at the end. Especially on later revisions the P4-is-hot thing was way overplayed.

The Pentium M based stuff was still better. But by the end it was all better than the G5.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The P4 ran cooler than the G5 while running faster at the end. Especially on later revisions the P4-is-hot thing was way overplayed.

The Pentium M based stuff was still better. But by the end it was all better than the G5.

I wasn't comparing to the G5.

I was comparing to its competitor in the PC space - Athlon.

Which made it look like a joke.

edit:
also, i owned multiple netburst machines (pentium 4 2.4, pentium D 930); i'm writing from experience.

Reactions: seek3r

Digital_Sousaphone

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2019
Most likely you did something wrong. Now it’s AMD’s fault and you’re here to sing the song of Ryzen’s doom despite the thousands of flawless builds up and running? Do you not realize that perhaps something went wrong with your build? Or is there a vast global conspiracy of people hiding lock ups and input lag? ? ? ?

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Yeah - but the state of the art has advanced over the past 20 years.
I was responding to the statement:

I have not seen a WC workstation ship from any of the major brands.​

As for advancements I made no comment regarding quality of solutions.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I was responding to the statement:

I have not seen a WC workstation ship from any of the major brands.​

As for advancements I made no comment regarding quality of solutions.
Water cooling was standard on the higher end Z8 series until recently, and optional on other models.
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/zcooler.html

But it didn't leak, unlike Apple's try.
[automerge]1581732242[/automerge]
Why no benchmarks with 128 cores on Apple OSX? ;)
....crickets....

high heaven

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
I think if Apple adopts AMD APU on MBP series, it is possible to use AMD CPU in Mac systems. I dont see any hopes for Intel at this point.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I think if Apple adopts AMD APU on MBP series, it is possible to use AMD CPU in Mac systems. I dont see any hopes for Intel at this point.

OEMs are still about 75% of the market, so Intel is safe until they do get their 10nm going.

Businesses will still buy intel i3s by the metric ton, while smart folks get a Ryzen. What is more interesting is what is happening in the server space. I see AMD continuing to make gains in that area.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Yesterday at some Chinese social network where people shares tech "speculations" someone with good record posted the following for a while and then deleted (take with huge grain of salt):

Apple readies Mac mini and iMac, iMac Pro full re-new , new aesthetic follows Mac pro and Pro display.

CPU, AMD based "hybrid" processors (custom Ryzen/Threadripper).

Base iMac 21/Mac mini to share APUs Ryzen 4000 series based, iMac 5k 8-16 cores Ryzen 3000 aeries - Navi GPU s (the gaming iMac), iMac Pro 6k Threadripper 24-64 cores Navi 21, pcie4 everything.

Hybrid processors, could mean the management controller likely build around or deeply integrated into T3 SCM.

IMac Pro more expensive, should start at 6000$, all other Macs to keep current base price.

Basically that's just what's speculations/hopefully tells everywhere, nothing unpredictable except for the "hybrid" CPU, while a custom Zen3 Chip is easy bet (in an all AMD Mac ) that hybrid word IMHO means Apple replace Zen Bridge Chip (10nm) with something based on it's (arm) T3 7nm, likely integrating RAM encryption (which comes sense) and more power efficiency and no chance for DIY cheap upgrades, unless you buy an Apple baked Ryzen CPU.

Keep track on this rumor, being true will be the most attractive iMac line ever, also the new aesthetic improves the crappy iMac thermal envelope, no throttling, no Intel bug's, pcie4.

I would buy that 6K iMac Pro with closed eyes even at baseline configurations (24 core, wx5700 likely) should be a huge upgrade on current iMac Pro (and a Mac pro sales predator).

A Mac mini with a cheese grater front/rear grille plus on top power/tb3 ports like the Mac pro will sell very fast too

Last edited:

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Yesterday at some Chinese social network where people shares tech "speculations" someone with good record posted the following for a while and then deleted (take with huge grain of salt):

Apple readies Mac mini and iMac, iMac Pro full re-new , new aesthetic follows Mac pro and Pro display.

Base iMac 21/Mac mini to share APUs Ryzen 4000 series based, iMac 5k 8-16 cores Ryzen 3000 aeries - Navi GPU s (the gaming iMac), iMac Pro 6k Threadripper 24-64 cores Navi 21, pcie4 everything.

Hybrid processors, could mean the management controller likely build around or deeply integrated into T3 SCM.

IMac Pro more expensive, should start at 6000$, all other Macs to keep current base price.

Basically that's just what's speculations/hopefully tells everywhere, nothing unpredictable except for the "hybrid" CPU, while a custom Zen3 Chip is easy bet (in an all AMD Mac ) that hybrid word IMHO means Apple replace Zen Bridge Chip (10nm) with something based on it's (arm) T3 7nm, likely integrating RAM encryption (which comes sense) and more power efficiency and no chance for DIY cheap upgrades, unless you buy an Apple baked Ryzen CPU.

Keep track on this rumor, being true will be the most attractive iMac line ever, also the new aesthetic improves the crappy iMac thermal envelope, no throttling, no Intel bug's, pcie4.

I would buy that 6K iMac Pro with closed eyes even at baseline configurations (24 core, wx5700 likely) should be a huge upgrade on current iMac Pro (and a Mac pro sales predator).

A Mac mini with a cheese grater front/rear grille plus on top power/tb3 ports like the Mac pro will sell very fast too

What good would a Mac mini do with the cheese grater if they don't reorient the fans and come up with a different form factor?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002

This is interesting and, if true, in my mind it signals the nearer term end of macOS. I’d thought that, if macOS was important to Apple, they’d transition their processors and have a long term solution to their processor woes. It would mean that they’d be focusing on both not only the software future of the platform, but the hardware future as well (annual A series processor updates).

If macOS was NOT important to Apple anymore... if Apple perceives that, in the near future, sales would be dropping off significantly, they’d simply switch to a cheaper CPU. This way, as sales continue to drop, they can make more of a profit on each one, meaning it would still be worth producing them even if they’re only producing 2-3 million a year.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
What good would a Mac mini do with the cheese grater if they don't reorient the fans and come up with a different form factor?
I have no idea how would look an all new Mac mini , Mac pro inspired (if, the rumour/leak seems focused on the iMac).

I'm speculating, an iMac looking like an pro display do not need too much imagination, but an "Mac Pro (cheese grater) - looking" Mac mini is not that easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.