Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm sure they probably have more versions of foldable/flipable phones in their R&D labs than any of us can imagine. The question is whether Apple deems any of them worthy of actual production and sale.

Personally, I don't find the vertical flip style compelling in anyway. I want the Galaxy Fold form factor--phone that turns into a tablet. A smaller phone that turns into a larger phone isn't useful...for me. I understand how others may be excited by the prospects of this design. I'm just not one of them.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm sure they probably have more versions of foldable/flipable phones in their R&D labs than any of us can imagine. The question is whether Apple deems any of them worthy of actual production and sale.

Personally, I don't find the vertical flip style compelling in anyway. I want the Galaxy Fold form factor--phone that turns into a tablet. A smaller phone that turns into a larger phone isn't useful...for me. I understand how others may be excited by the prospects of this design. I'm just not one of them.
I would love a Galaxy Fold type iPhone as well :). One with pencil support and a very interactive front display.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I would love a Galaxy Fold type iPhone as well :). One with pencil support and a very interactive front display.

This thread was on the front page of MR a few days ago.

Hinged-iPhone-2020-Feature.jpg

I'd be perfectly happy with something like this. I'm really not excited by the prospects of plastic displays and the compromises created by having the actual display be foldable. Two separate glass displays side-by-side with very little bezel at the hinge is perfectly fine for me, especially if it results in a sturdier device. This render is clearly just a pair of iPhones next to each other but Prosser's comments indicate that in reality, the prototype isn't like that and has virtually no gap. That would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
This thread was on the front page of MR a few days ago.

I'd be perfectly happy with something like this. I'm really not excited by the prospects of plastic displays and the compromises created by having the actual display be foldable. Two separate glass displays side-by-side with very little bezel at the hinge is perfectly fine for me, especially if it results in a sturdier device. The render not the front page is clearly just a pair of iPhones next to each other but Prosser's comments indicate that in reality, the prototype isn't like that and has virtually no gap. That would be great.
yes...kinda like the MS Surface Duo
only a little more narrow would be my preference :)

Reactions: tbayrgs

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
a phone, a tablet, a Laptop,...... a phone, a tablet, a Laptop,.... a phone....
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.