Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
I have seen mention of this topic on iPhones, but I wonder if the battery health figure is reliable on the Watch. My S4 (used almost daily for close to four years) has seen a slow but steady decline in battery health but stayed at a constant 87% since the last watchOS update (os 8). However, since updating to os 9 the battery health indicator has leapt to 91%!

Notably, Apple didn‘t mention in the release notes that the new os increased battery capacity. I don’t know whether to be a) moderately impressed that Apple has reversed the laws of battery physics and reversed the ageing process; b) quietly satisfied that Apple has found a way to better calibrate battery health, or c) just cynical that Apple are stating a higher battery health figure to discourage requests for replacement batteries (which are apparently whole watch replacements).

The watch itself has been generally reliable and I am actually rather pleased with the battery health overall. However, given that the actual battery life I get from the watch has continued to deteriorate (albeit slowly), I gravitate to cynicism as to the reasons for the stated increased health. Thoughts?

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
I have seen mention of this topic on iPhones, but I wonder if the battery health figure is reliable on the Watch. My S4 (used almost daily for close to four years) has seen a slow but steady decline in battery health but stayed at a constant 87% since the last watchOS update (os 8). However, since updating to os 9 the battery health indicator has leapt to 91%!

Notably, Apple didn‘t mention in the release notes that the new os increased battery capacity. I don’t know whether to be a) moderately impressed that Apple has reversed the laws of battery physics and reversed the ageing process; b) quietly satisfied that Apple has found a way to better calibrate battery health, or c) just cynical that Apple are stating a higher battery health figure to discourage requests for replacement batteries (which are apparently whole watch replacements).

The watch itself has been generally reliable and I am actually rather pleased with the battery health overall. However, given that the actual battery life I get from the watch has continued to deteriorate (albeit slowly), I gravitate to cynicism as to the reasons for the stated increased health. Thoughts?
I think if Apple was going to manipulate the battery health, it would go the opposite way so they would get you to pay for a battery replacement or upgrade your watch. I'm sure the battery algorithm has been updated to show more accuracy. Most people are going to show 80% or less while you are still under warranty. I would be happy that you still have pretty good battery health for a S4 watch. My series 6 only has 91%, so your battery is doing really well.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I suspect they simply updated or adjusted the way it is calculated. Battery health isn’t exact anyway. My AW4 went from 79% to 82% after the update. It still barely makes it to bedtime.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
but stayed at a constant 87% ... has leapt to 91%!

Going from 87 to 91 is a difference of 4.49%. That's a very minor bump, not a leap. Calculating battery health and remaining charge is part art, part science. It's an inexact explication based on known variables. In no way are your results indicia of "manipulating battery health."

Search the forums -- li-ion battery health has been discussed here a lot in the past. The rabbit hole is deeeep.

Reactions: james2538

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I think if Apple was going to manipulate the battery health, it would go the opposite way so they would get you to pay for a battery replacement or upgrade your watch. I'm sure the battery algorithm has been updated to show more accuracy. Most people are going to show 80% or less while you are still under warranty. I would be happy that you still have pretty good battery health for a S4 watch. My series 6 only has 91%, so your battery is doing really well.
Well, the cynic in me suspects that they would manipulate the % higher so they don't have to deal with warranty claims for low battery health during the first year (Al and SS models) or during the first two years (edition models).

Reactions: Total Respray

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Well, the cynic in me suspects that they would manipulate the % higher so they don't have to deal with warranty claims for low battery health during the first year (Al and SS models) or during the first two years (edition models).
Doubtful theyd want the reputational damage from such a thing. I think people need to stop making things up out of thin air.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Maniplating-gate?

I don’t think so. Anything like this would be lawsuit worthy and no company wants that spotlight on them.

• Haha
Reactions: LeeW

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Classic case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Apple had changed the calculation to lower the battery health someone would be here complaining that WatchOS 9 shortened their watch's useful life. That calculation is an indication of battery health, not Gospel. So is the charge percentage BTW.

Reactions: Velin

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
Well my battery health was 84% on Watchos8, after installing 9 it jumped to 89%, but has already gone down to 87% so I think it is probably a case of the new algorithm getting to grips with a few charging cycles.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009

Mine went up as well after updating. Went from 83 to 85.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.