Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
WTF is this mean:

I have a launch day XS that has slight yellow tint, That came from China Foxcom facility directly to me. I ordered another to compare screen quality to make decision on which is better, This unit, that I get Saturday is shipping from Carlisle PA. I looked it up and thats a plant where they refurbish units! Am I getting a returned unit that possible the plant said was ok and just reboxed? This is really concerning. I am leaning toward just keeping my original unit. The serial numbers of both indicate my first unit from China has a newer build date than the one from Carlisle,

Is this possible Apple is now shipping returns they think are good as new units?

CC

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Are you certain? Did you purchase as brand new? I think it's one of Apple Warehouses where they keep inventories. Once Apple supply catches up with demand they typically store them in one of the warehouses located in the U.S. I know there is one in PA, TN, and CA I believe.

So if they have plenty stock, and you order online, they'll start shipping them in the U.S. All iPhones are manufactured in China. Also any iPhones returned doesn't get resold as Brand New in box as resale, they all go back to Cupertino, CA, and get's sent back to China for parts and making replacement units.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Build date means zero.

"Ordered" how, you physically PAID for a 2nd device up-front, or called and complained and want it swapped out?

If the latter then you may get a refurb possibly absent returning the first under the 14 day return window and purchasing a new (although I doubt they even have refurbs yet this early).

If the former they may be simply holding stock there at the warehouse space. They cannot sell refurbs as new.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Are you certain? Did you purchase as brand new? I think it's one of Apple Warehouses where they keep inventories. Once Apple supply catches up with demand they typically store them in one of the warehouses located in the U.S. I know there is one in PA, TN, and CA I believe.

So if they have plenty stock, and you order online, they'll start shipping them in the U.S. All iPhones are manufactured in China. Also any iPhones returned doesn't get resold as Brand New in box as resale, they all go back to Cupertino, CA, and get's sent back to China for parts and making replacement units.

This was purchased Brand New online. First one shipped directly from China, this one Fed Ex from Carlile PA. Any other telltale signed if its a return just reboxed? What weird is the new one had an older date of manufacture date than the new one. Ideas/advice?

CC

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
This was purchased Brand New online. First one shipped directly from China, this one Fed Ex from Carlile PA. Any other telltale signed if its a return just reboxed? What weird is the new one had an older date of manufacture date than the new one. Ideas/advice?

CC
Yes, this means that Apple has plenty of them in stock and is now storing them in warehouses, so they will no longer ship directly from China and will use Fedex instead of UPS. It's pretty normal to order one and get something that has the older date build. This is because Apple builds them in mass quantity and it's not like they store it in single file line once it's complete. I would not worry about the build date, if you purchased it online as brand new, then it's brand new and not a returned unit from someone else. Enjoy.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Build date means zero.

"Ordered" how, you physically PAID for a 2nd device up-front, or called and complained and want it swapped out?

If the latter then you may get a refurb possibly absent returning the first under the 14 day return window and purchasing a new (although I doubt they even have refurbs yet this early).

If the former they may be simply holding stock there at the warehouse space. They cannot sell refurbs as new.

I physically paid up front with no complaints to Apple, I have until next Friday to send original unit back under the 14 day return period. In essence as far as Apple is concerned its a brand new order. The real question is can they sell as new a phone returned within the 14 day period with no complaints on the return, just a return like I will do. Can they just rebox and sell as new?

CC

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I physically paid up front with no complaints to Apple, I have until next Friday to send original unit back under the 14 day return period. In essence as far as Apple is concerned its a brand new order. The real question is can they sell as new a phone returned within the 14 day period with no complaints on the return, just a return like I will do. Can they just rebox and sell as new?

CC

Apple Never ever sells a phone that has been opened and returned. If a customer returns the phone to Apple, they get sent back to Cupertino and is torn apart and parts that still works will be re-used for replacement units down the road.

Edit: Apple Store typically marks these as open box returns, they don't go back to the shelve to be resold at all. period.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Apple Never ever sells a phone that has been opened and returned. If a customer returns the phone to Apple, they get sent back to Cupertino and is torn apart and parts that still works will be re-used for replacement units down the road.

Edit: Apple Store typically marks these as open box returns, they don't go back to the shelve to be resold at all. period.

Do you have any reference to that statement. I just again thoroughly investigated and and can verify anything shipped out of the Carlile location is either an Applecare replacement or a repaired unit.

CC

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
With the 8, you could tell if it was a refurbished unit based on serial number. Maybe that still holds true.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
With the 8, you could tell if it was a refurbished unit based on serial number. Maybe that still holds true.

First 2 digits on this is DN. Any idea? I just want to make sure the new phone is really new. This is also shipping Fed
Ex as the China one came UPS to same location.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
You're overthinking this. When you get the phone, make sure it works properly and looks to be new. I find it very highly unlikely Apple would do that. If you open it and it appears to be used in anyway then just return it. Otherwise, just enjoy it.

Reactions: Ta0jin

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
You probably got the phone I returned. See I had it for a few days but dropped it in a pile of doo doo, which made the screen yellow. It got returned and when they got it back at the warehouse, they blew the dried dingleberries off of it before putting it back in a box just for you. :D

If there are any issues, feel free to return it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Do you have any reference to that statement. I just again thoroughly investigated and and can verify anything shipped out of the Carlile location is either an Applecare replacement or a repaired unit.

CC
Once again, if you order from apple.com and paid the full price it is brand new. period. They aren't going to be sending you a unit that was opened by another customer that was returned. You can stop by the Apple Store or chat with Apple and they will tell you the same thing. They ship it from warehouse. I ordered an iPHone X late in April and was shipped to me via Fedex and it came from Mt. Juliet, TN. There's a warehouse there.

Actually it's the Part number that you can tell if it's refurbished or not. M is retail unit. N is replacement unit. F is refurbished unit, I believe there is another one from which I think it's P.

I had the 8 replaced and had a regular serial numbers indistinguishable from others, but had the N for the part number.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
It is too early for apple to have refurbished units. But to make yourself feel better, just return the phone and rebuy another one. Easy solution for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.