Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raccoononroids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Hey everyone,

So I ordered an iPad pro on July 23 and my estimated delivery date is September 4. Lately, I have been observing that there have been iPad pros with the same configuration popping up in stores near me where they were previously out of stock. Yesterday, I called a few of these stores to check if they had it in stock and they simply told me that for the iPad pros specifically, apple will be doing online orders/shipping only. Today, I checked these stores for store pickup and two of them had the iPad available. However, it seemed like there was an extremely short supply like 1 or 2 because as soon as I put one of them in the cart it was not available for store pickup on my other computer (the same happened for the other store). Could these be iPad pros be the ones someone returned and the stores (obviously after inspections and all) are selling them as new given that delivery time for people is 3-4 weeks, supply seems to be extremely short and apple stores saying that Apple is doing online/delivery only for ipads?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The new iPad Pros are in big demand right now. And adding Covid-19 to the mix and overseas customs and drama doesn’t help. It can make for a month or more wait time when ordering online from Apple.

Apple doesn’t sell refurbished as new. Try Amazon, B&H Video (usually on sale) or Best Buy, if you want a device quicker.

Reactions: raccoononroids

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Attachments

• 9A34EE98-C0DE-4A53-930E-71A4D0386FFA.jpeg
    9A34EE98-C0DE-4A53-930E-71A4D0386FFA.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 243

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hey everyone,

So I ordered an iPad pro on July 23 and my estimated delivery date is September 4. Lately, I have been observing that there have been iPad pros with the same configuration popping up in stores near me where they were previously out of stock. Yesterday, I called a few of these stores to check if they had it in stock and they simply told me that for the iPad pros specifically, apple will be doing online orders/shipping only. Today, I checked these stores for store pickup and two of them had the iPad available. However, it seemed like there was an extremely short supply like 1 or 2 because as soon as I put one of them in the cart it was not available for store pickup on my other computer (the same happened for the other store). Could these be iPad pros be the ones someone returned and the stores (obviously after inspections and all) are selling them as new given that delivery time for people is 3-4 weeks, supply seems to be extremely short and apple stores saying that Apple is doing online/delivery only for ipads?

In plenty countries you cannot sell returns as brand new items, so I’m not sure if that’s happening. As suggested earlier, there’s a pandemic going around and the demand for iPads has gone up a bit as a result of more people trying to use them to work from home. The Pro is likely a niche product in terms of iPad sales, hence shifts in demand lead to some longer wait times.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Hmm. Not directly or currently relevant, but I bought a 2006 White MacBook from an Apple Store. Got home, opened it, and the screen was full of palm and fingerprints. Took it back and the sales associate was a little indifferent but got me one that was "untouched". Don't know if it was a return that they tried to resell or touched from the factory.

But another instance was buying a 16" hardshell case online. Didn't like the material so I brought it to the Apple Store. This was March. Sales associate took the case and packaging, and put it directly on the store shelving. They didn't even have that case anywhere else in the store, which is why I bought it online. Not a huge deal to me, but kinda surprised how quickly the associate just propped it right back up and ready to go.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
What could be happening is that people are ordering and hoping for delivery to speed up.

When it goes into preparing it can take up to a week to move out to shipped during these times. At this time you cannnot cancel the order.

However they manage to get stock from somewhere else so they purchase it

Now said device shows up from Apple and they return it to an apple store unopened

this explains the random pop up of stock here and there

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Hey everyone,

If returned unopened they are re-sold (after being verified that it wasn't tampered with, but no open box or opened returned Apple device is sold as new. It gets sent back for a new chassis, battery, and anything else that might be needed is and the iPad is sent to refurb.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
If returned unopened they are re-sold (after being verified that it wasn't tampered with, but no open box or opened returned Apple device is sold as new. It gets sent back for a new chassis, battery, and anything else that might be needed is and the iPad is sent to refurb.

Probably wouldn’t happen today but back in 2006 Apple sold me a “new” White clamshell MacBook as new that had clearly been opened and probably used. Didn’t realize until I got home and noticed the old style box had a plastic disc sticker placed over the “used and cut” original sticker. Then I opened the MacBook and saw numerous finger prints and I think a palm print on the screen.

Took it back immediately to the Apple Store and they exchanged it for an unopened one.

Reactions: Kal-037

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Probably wouldn’t happen today but back in 2006 Apple sold me a “new” White clamshell MacBook as new that had clearly been opened and probably used. Didn’t realize until I got home and noticed the old style box had a plastic disc sticker placed over the “used and cut” original sticker. Then I opened the MacBook and saw numerous finger prints and I think a palm print on the screen.

Took it back immediately to the Apple Store and they exchanged it for an unopened one.
Those employees I hope are working elsewhere now.
that would be a bit frustrating. ?‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.