Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJK13K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2020
Dutchess County, NY
What I have installed - Logitech Doorbell camera and four Logitech Circle View cameras divided into two home groups in the hope that enough cycles would be available to support them if they were divided. There did not appear to be enough cycles to support successful completion of the program code to produce an accurate clip.
Gray Home contains two cameras; My Home contains three, one of which is the doorbell. Each home also includes a HomePod with the hope that additional cycles might be provided, as required, by the home pod. An iPad Pro, model NTXQ2LL/A, is the primary support device. All software is current.
There is very little guidance available on what to expect from what one tries to get optimum performance from the cameras.

What I do not like - The cameras do not act in a consistent way!
Motion sensors do not seem work every time. A car goes out and comes back later. The
camera sees it twice or only once or not at all. It’s totally unpredictable.
When watching the camera live and seeing something I want to clip, I cannot clip. If the camera doesn’t see it, it’s gone.
When going from notification to the view, sometimes the cursor is placed at the end of all the clips, not at the clip that the notification was for.
The clip sequence is messy. They run together. Sometimes they overlap and the mark of the beginning of a new day is missing. They also string out instead of being one mark for each clip.
Clips end while motion is clearly continuing. Should extend a second or two beyond the end of motion detection.
If I want to send feedback so that the developer can see that a large turkey is defined as a person, no feedback is offered in the list of options.
12-27-21 11:54 am shows me putting out seeds on an empty rail. The next clip from 12:59 am shows all the seeds gone. What happened to them? Why did the camera show nothing?
Cameras fail to respond often and must be removed from their home and reinstalled. Sometimes they reset, and sometimes they must be unplugged/replugged to be able to reset. Does the camera have no errors codes that can be resolved with programming?
Program does not seem to be tested well at all.

I do not believe that Apple is serious about its support for Logitech cameras as security devices.

My experience with the HomeKit and Logitech disappoints me and does not match the expectations that Apple has set in my home with 2 iPhones, 4 iPads a new MacBook Pro, and older MacBook Air, Apple TV and two Home Pods.

Can you help?

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
Sorry you’ve been have trouble with this, HomeKit has been a frustrating ride for me too at times.

If I might make a couple of practical suggestions in terms of getting help: Firstly, you might want to try the ‘HomePod, HomeKit, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology’ subforum rather than this one, or /r/Homekit on Reddit. I’ve found lots of useful tips on there.

It might also help to separate out troubleshooting a particular problem from more general discussion about the platform, and giving it a more specific title. Titles like ”Is Apple serious about X?“ or “New iPhone disaster - Tim Cook should be fired!!!!” tend to come across as clickbaity and melodramatic, and either get ignored or generate unproductive discussion.

Seeing as you mention the wider platform - yeah, it’s in a pretty frustrating state at the moment. Clearly Apple’s home strategy isn’t going to plan. Matter is/was supposed to provide the cross-platform plumbing to do things much more robustly, but the pandemic seems to have slowed down that transition and there is much to be done on the software side. Let’s hope 2022 is the year when this stuff starts to come together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.