Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I don't know. Not having kids (who love to rewatch stuff over and over again), I don't really see much interesting there either. I don't rewatch old Disney or Marvel movies, and the only TV show that mildly interests me is "The Mandalorian".

They're going to have a huge catalog right off - not just cartoons and Star Wars/Marvel. Well worth the low price of admission, IMO. But "The Mandalorian" sells it for me, for sure! :)

Reactions: tonyr6

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
They're going to have a huge catalog right off - not just cartoons and Star Wars/Marvel. Well worth the low price of admission, IMO.
Sure, but it's all ... catalog stuff. Everything I'm likely to rewatch occasionally (such as the Star Wars movies) I already own either on iTunes or on disc.
But "The Mandalorian" sells it for me, for sure! :)
The trailer looked better than I expected. I'll probably wait until all episodes are available and subscribe for a month to binge it. ;)

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I think they should do a amazon prime like package. Video + Music + Storage.
I'm actually happy that Amazon now offers a standalone Prime Video subscription, since I have no interest in their music and storage services and don't need Prime shipping either. Not a big fan of bundles where I have to pay for stuff I don't need.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I'm actually happy that Amazon now offers a standalone Prime Video subscription, since I have no interest in their music and storage services and don't need Prime shipping either. Not a big fan of bundles where I have to pay for stuff I don't need.
I actually wish amazon did the opposite. I only use their shipping services.

On the other hand, I do pay for cloud and apple music so for me I'd be more inclined to subscribe to their tv content if it was included in a bundle since I already would be using 2 out of the 3 services. Otherwise, I have several other tv content providers.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I actually wish amazon did the opposite. I only use their shipping services.
I think we're saying the same thing, just that you are interested in a different part of the bundle. ;)

I dropped Prime about two years ago and have discovered that life goes on without free 2-day shipping. :p There are plenty of alternative stores to use (which I prefer where possible since Amazon is too powerful as it is), and waiting a few days with standard shipping isn't the end of the world either.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I think we're saying the same thing, just that you are interested in a different part of the bundle. ;)

I dropped Prime about two years ago and have discovered that life goes on without free 2-day shipping. :p There are plenty of alternative stores to use (which I prefer where possible since Amazon is too powerful as it is), and waiting a few days with standard shipping isn't the end of the world either.
Yeah but I'm spoiled with 2 day shipping.

Honestly can probably live without it seeing as they still provide 2-day shipping with a $35 order. I might still go that route if I'm really really trying to save some cash although this thread is literally about spending more money on something you don't really need lol.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yeah but I'm spoiled with 2 day shipping.

Honestly can probably live without it seeing as they still provide 2-day shipping with a $35 order.
They don't. Without Prime, the free option for orders >$35 is "standard shipping". What that seems to do is that they hold back the items a few days before they ship them at the same speed. :rolleyes:

I found that there are better alternatives. For example, while I dislike Walmart stores, I found their online shopping portal surprisingly good and use it more than Amazon now. Their free shipping over $35 is often just as fast as Amazon's 2-day shipping, and they even have free next-day-shipping on many common items.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
They don't. Without Prime, the free option for orders >$35 is "standard shipping". What that seems to do is that they hold back the items a few days before they ship them at the same speed. :rolleyes:

I found that there are better alternatives. For example, while I dislike Walmart stores, I found their online shopping portal surprisingly good and use it more than Amazon now. Their free shipping over $35 is often just as fast as Amazon's 2-day shipping, and they even have free next-day-shipping on many common items.
I think I may have got the $35 free 2 day shipping mixed up with walmarts free 2 day shipping for $35 orders. I just checked and they even have free 1-day shipping now on WalMart. Oh also just checked Amazon has free shipping with a minimum of $25.

Either way, I don't use their prime video, storage or music services but their annual fee keeps going up. Canceling prime would free up some funds for an apple tv subscription although I'm still not sure it's worth it for my viewing habits.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
To be honest, Netflix should really be charging $40 to $60 per month. They have the most content of all the streaming services. That content cost $$$$ for EACH market they stream it.
SHAME on you! ? ?
[automerge]1572625514[/automerge]
I give ATV+ a BS (binge subscribe) rating for now. ? Netflix has a mountain of content in comparison, and Prime has their merchandise shipping angle which makes it one heck of a deal if you purchase a lot from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ActionableMango

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It depends on how you define a contender. A quarter billion people buy a qualifying Apple device every year, and so will get AppleTV+ free for the year. So there's a built-in audience a quarter-billion strong.

If you define it by paid subs, it's probably going to be very low. Who's going to pay for an Apple TV service without buying Apple devices? Not many. The people I know without Apple devices seem to literally hate Apple--they aren't going to sub to an Apple service.

Reactions: tonyr6 and Huntn

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No, but it's also free/inexpensive.

HBO was nothing at one point, too. This is just a fairly unique situation.
[automerge]1572630359[/automerge]
To be honest, Netflix should really be charging $40 to $60 per month. They have the most content of all the streaming services. That content cost $$$$ for EACH market they stream it.
It's 99% trash, though.

Disney Plus is the king at $7.99 a month.

Reactions: tonyr6

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The issue right now is content.

Apple TV+ has a handful of shows. If you look at content library - Apple will not win against any of the other streaming services. That will likely change over time. Which is one of the reasons, I am guessing, they are comping it with new device purchases during the first year of their service.

On the flip side - if you like the shows they do offer - and were paying for it - you could argue that the $60 for the year is an OK price to pay for every episode of the 10 or more shows they offer considering what a single episode of any TV show costs to buy on iTunes.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Since it has only launched today, it's too soon to tell. At this point you could probably watch their whole catalog in a month or two...maybe.

I have high hopes, but who knows...

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Most of the posts here are from just about 1 year ago.

Curious to see if those opinions have changed since then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.