Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
I recently purchased an iPad mini 6 without AppleCare+. I'm planning to keep it for a year. I would like to know if AppleCare+ is worth purchasing on the iPad mini 6?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I recently purchased an iPad mini 6 without AppleCare+. I'm planning to keep it for a year. I would like to know if AppleCare+ is worth purchasing on the iPad mini 6?

1. What’s the likelihood of accidental damage during that period?
2. If it gets damaged, do you absolutely need to replace it or can you go without?
3. If you absolutely need to replace, how willing will you be to spend the $349-399 out of warranty repair cost?

For something I know for sure I’ll only keep within the warranty period and isn’t high priority, I wouldn’t bother with AC+.

Now the iPhone, I always get AC+ for Express Replacement Service. I don’t use it much but it’s a critical device for me.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you're only keeping it for a year the warranty extension part won't be worth it expect for possibly increasing resale value. How careful are you with such devices? Would you expect to need the damage protection part of AppleCare+?

My wife's AppleCare+ paid for itself when there was a problem with the charging port on her just under 2 year old iPad Pro.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
It’s also worth seeing if it would already be covered under an existing policy.

My iPads are covered in my home content insurance.

Some credit cards will cover you if you purchased the item with their card.

Reactions: 7thson

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
For what it costs monthly on the iPad mini, it’s a no brainier to me but then I also have AppleCare on all my Apple products for peace of mind.

Reactions: dms_91

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Individual use cases make this a very personal decision. Is it likely to leave the house? Do you have a tendency to drop stuff? Will a child have access to the iPad? Are you going to put it in a case? Lots of variables to consider.
I’ll second that it’s worth noting that if you purchased it with a credit card, then it’s possible it may offer an extended warranty as a benefit. My Costco Citi card and Amazon Chase cards both do.
Also worth noting, if you pay in full for AC+, you can cancel it at any time and get refunded the balance.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Individual use cases make this a very personal decision. Is it likely to leave the house? Do you have a tendency to drop stuff? Will a child have access to the iPad? Are you going to put it in a case? Lots of variables to consider.
I’ll second that it’s worth noting that if you purchased it with a credit card, then it’s possible it may offer an extended warranty as a benefit. My Costco Citi card and Amazon Chase cards both do.
Also worth noting, if you pay in full for AC+, you can cancel it at any time and get refunded the balance.

The extended warranty via credit card wouldn’t even matter since OP mentioned he’s only keeping for one year (so covered by regular warranty). Really, the only concern is accidental damage.

It’s more expensive than paying for the 2-year AC+ but Apple also offers monthly AC+ on the iPad mini for $3.49/mo.

wmadan

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2013
If you pay for AppleCare+ upfront and not go the monthly fee route, when you get rid of the iPad in 1 year you can call Apple and get refunded for the unused premium.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
If im buying an iPad second hand or any Apple product, I make sure it has Apple Care. Im mentioning this because you only plan to keep the product for a year. That means you are either selling/trading it or giving it away to a friend/relative.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Worth it?

That’s a question only you can answer.

Does the things it brings to the table seem worth it for you?

I don’t mean to sound a bit excessive. But some people never have accidental damage and some people break their devices every week. Some people can’t weather buying a new iPad or paying for an out of warranty repair. Some will just use the failure to pick up a newer iPad next year.

Etc.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Unless you’re intentionally throwing your mini 6 around like a frisbee and hucking it down the stairs over and over again, AppleCare is a waste. It’s called being careful.

• Haha
Reactions: skardvin

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
Unless you’re intentionally throwing your mini 6 around like a frisbee and hucking it down the stairs over and over again, AppleCare is a waste. It’s called being careful.
Darn it...I guess that means I need to buy AC. ;)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don't have a iPad Mini, but I have an iPad Pro... if you tend to travel with your iPad (like me) then perhaps having AC would be worth it.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The benefits are well known, but only you can determine if that represents enough value for you to purchase it. For me it does, so I buy it with my iPads these days.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Save your money you dont need applecare

Reactions: slx

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wouldn't bother on the mini 6. It really isn't that expensive to begin with. Put aside some money every month for an Apple emergency fund. Hopefully, you will never need it. If we were talking about a Mac, things would be different for most people.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I chose not too so far with my base iPad. AppleCare + deductible is only $70 cheaper than a non AppleCare replacement. My iPad stays at home also in the case so I am not too worried about it but if you are traveling a lot with it - might be a different scenario.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.