Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nguyen6323

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
You technically do have an opt in moment during the iOS set up asking if you want to enable Location Services. If you say yes, then its turned on for system services, if you want to make any fine-tuned changes to your location services, then you can go into the settings and do so.

You can select no, and then have to go into settings later to manually turn on what you need.It's just one of the many location options so Apple is giving you a simple yes or no in the beginning or else the setup screens get way too cluttered.

If you initially chose not to turn on Location Services during setup, then it wouldn't be turned on without your permission. Similarly, if you had the original Find My iPhone option turned off, you need not worry because that also would not be turned on without your permission once you chose to activate Location Services and then turn Find My iPhone off sometime in the past.

For the phones that had Find My option activated when they rolled out the network, it was an upgrade and major improvement to an already activated feature that was already active and agreed to.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
You're claiming I'm using people's WIFI when I'm not connected to them? Is that what you're claiming? That's what my post was in response to that you went off in a different direction about.

Your iPhone will ping all SSIDs in a certain radius. Which in turn does ping things back to Apple (routing, traffic, etc that EVERYONE in this thread has been telling you).

So, yes, it will use it, even if it’s only a brief connection!

the fact that so many of us have been telling you the same thing, surely has to show that you’re oblivious to the facts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.