Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Hi guys, can someone kindly explain to me how ATT mobile insurance works? So, my husband and I have two lines on ATT. I have an iPhone 8 plus that have no insurance. My husband is due for an upgrade so he upgraded to an iPhone x and added a mobile insurance to his. Now he wanted to exchange with me, so we did. I guess I'm wondering if the iPhone X is still covered with the mobile insurance even if we exchanged, or my 8 plus is now the covered one since the mobile insurance feature is in his number? If he files a claim for a replacement lets say, would he get an iPhone X even he's now using my 8 plus or would he be getting an 8 plus since insurance is tied up to your line/number so whatever phone he is using thats what he will be getting when he files a claim?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
The ATT website would state the terms and conditions, as would the paperwork you signed. You could also call in and ask.

A quick look (https://www.att.com/offers/device-protection.html) shows it is phone number based:
• A monthly charge will be billed directly to your wireless account.
• $8.99 per month per enrolled number.
• A non-refundable deductible applies to each claim. See repair and replacement deductibles.
• There is a limit of two claims in 12 consecutive months. The maximum value per claim is $1500.
How it works when you suddenly swap phones is not listed. Since it is the same price no matter the device, then I imagine you get the same model of phone you ask them to repair. You should call and ask for clarification.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Goes by the phone number though you have to make sure the IMEI of the device matches on ATT's end or else when you go to file the claim the wrong phone will show up as the one to do the claim on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.