Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nojokews6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
i have had 3G on my sprint mogel for over a year and it is atleast 5X faster then the 3G on my new iphone. iam really hoping its only today. i dont even get 3g in my apartment iam on edge..ugg i really hope it gets better, so far iam alittle unhappy.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
same here in Chicago. However somethings I have tried like you tube load really fast as well as some websites. I am going to assume it is just the overload of new users.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
It should NOT take 15 seconds to load DrudgeReport.

If these speeds don't improve I may return the phone.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Given the amount of 3G data from other devices I can't even imagine the 3G iPhone launch showing up as a blip, let alone dragging the system down.

maryamaz

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I'm also disappointed here in DC - Drudge Report is a really simple site and like goodcow said, it really shouldn't take that long.

I will also consider returning it if the speeds continue to be this slow.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
well for now I'll just blame it on the launch day effect, and if i doesn't get better by next week then we'll have a problem.

alexplank

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Given the amount of 3G data from other devices I can't even imagine the 3G iPhone launch showing up as a blip, let alone dragging the system down.

I don't know. With all the hype about the iPhone and the new app store on most of the major news networks and websites, I wouldn't be surprised if all the app downloads were really slowing things down. Downloading apps and videos is a lot more taxing than the bandwidth people use for email and light text only browsing (which is what most smartphone owners probably would be doing).

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
I say give it a week until the hype dies down. Imagine the massive amount of people playing with their iPhones all at the same time, especially with you people in those larger cities. I tested out 3G in the store today (couldn't get my iPhone ... sold out) and it was fast!

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I can't even get 3G to show up where I am at. I just turned off my wifi to check out 3g speeds, and it is using Edge.

I live in the middle of a large metropolitan area and should have 3G coverage from the maps I have seen.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I've had a 3G Samsung from AT&T for the past 28 days. I exchanged it for the iPhone today. --iPhone is on order for me now... don't have it yet.

Anyway... i've noticed in the month i've been using the 3G, i've hit some slow times. I've made comments about this in this forum and nobody cared to acknowledge it. I guess they just want the iPhone no matter what. I did too. I tried to talk myself out it but broke down today. The Samsung just didn't suit me.

I really hope the slowness won't happen often on the iPhone.

tho

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
considering the debacle that was today's iphone launch i doubt there were enough people out there to bog down the 3g network.

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
You guys have to move down here to San Antonio....ATTs home base (well use to be) The 3G network is off the hinges down here. Also ATTUverse started in SA also.

All of BEXAR county (the county where San Antonio, Texas resides) is in ATT's 3G network.

The fastest ATT 3G speeds should be here in San Antonio..

dustinl4m3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I live in Sacramento, CA ("Full" 3G coverage).

Used to have a Nokia N75, and was able to get full 3G speeds here just fine.

Two brand new iPhone 3Gs fail to ever get 3G here. They always show Edge only. I have gotten the 3G icon to show up twice, but it disappears after a few seconds.

So "impressed" with this "upgrade". Hooray.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I'm out of town right now... so I'm planning on getting the iPhone 3G when I get home on Monday... but I'm in Orlando and I stopped by an AT&T store today just to play with one. The 3G was AWESOME. Faster than I had anticipated. I felt like I was on Wifi.

I can't comment on the 3G at home (Miami Metro Area) but it seems great here in Orlando.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I'm out of town right now... so I'm planning on getting the iPhone 3G when I get home on Monday... but I'm in Orlando and I stopped by an AT&T store today just to play with one. The 3G was AWESOME. Faster than I had anticipated. I felt like I was on Wifi.

I can't comment on the 3G at home (Miami Metro Area) but it seems great here in Orlando.

are you sure it wasn't WiFi, i know at a local store i went to the demos were on the store WiFi not the 3G network

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
same here in Chicago. However somethings I have tried like you tube load really fast as well as some websites. I am going to assume it is just the overload of new users.

I find it overwhelmingly fast. Beyond any expectations I had. Remarkable.
(west chicago burbs)

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
I'm pretty underwhelmed. With one bar of indicated signal strength, I'm getting about 300 kbps. With the Sprint Touch, also one bar of indicated signal strength, I get about 800 kbps. Is this going to pick up? Given the lack of apps and the measly data rate, I'm not leaning toward committing to the iPhone and AT&T.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
It should NOT take 15 seconds to load DrudgeReport.

If these speeds don't improve I may return the phone.

I'm also disappointed here in DC - Drudge Report is a really simple site and like goodcow said, it really shouldn't take that long.

I will also consider returning it if the speeds continue to be this slow.

Both of you, please do. If you really can't wait one or two days while a million new users are activating their new 3G iPhones and overloading ATT and Apple's servers, then you just don't understand how technology works. Things just get bogged down some times. They just do.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
It will be interesting to see what kind of speeds people get as the days go by. When I had my BlackJack II (which is 3G), I could have 5 bars and get slow as hell speed. This was in Emeryville (Oakland, CA). And so far, the iLounge reports of 3G being slow as well are really disturbing.

3G is like ISDN to dial-up. It's faster but you'll want cable/DSL (aka WiFi) whenever you can get it.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I think 3G seemed pretty slow today. I tried it on the iPhones in the Apple store and it seemed just a bit faster than edge. I live in an area that has good 3G coverage according to the AT&T map but the 3G logo changes to edge depending on where I went in a two mile area. I can't get 3G while in my home or workplace, I have to go outside to get 3G.

Still worth the price, I just sold my old 16GB to a friend for $280 so my new 3G cost me $20. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.