Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
London
I have two gen one atv's one with crystal hd, which is pretty much necessary for good mkv playback. The issue is, the ATF freezes quite a bit randomly.

Does the second one not have these issues or is it still flakey? I think it may be the limited driver support for the crystal hd.

whooda4

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
I have the at2 and it is good for anything below 720p for any format. It will do 720p mkv but thats it. It will buffer irregularly on 720p videos. Some stream just fine, some only over a wired connection, some just buffer every couple minutes. I have not bothered to look at the bitrates, but im assuming that is the problem. Im hoping the next update of xbmc will give it a good performance boost.
I also have plex loaded up on the mac pro and it seems to work a bit better. Im not sure if its a buffer issue or what, but I have far less issues that way.

Im going to purchase a new mac mini when it comes out if that answers your question.

Apple is selling refurbs for 85bucks if you want to try it out. Or you can get one on ebay for dirt cheap.

good luck

I love it for the price, and will continue using it.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
London
Thanks for the info.

I have a very fast wireless network, that's never been an issue on any media file. The problem I consistently run into is that I can watch an item or two, but then when exiting to select another, it freezes and requires a hard reboot.

It's a really odd issue I've been unable to nail down :/

The issue with the mini is.. it's really expensive. Given there's nowhere near enough storage, and so far not a lot of grunt either, I can't see why I would go that route instead of just buying a boxee box, which will just stream everything. The point of going with atv would be price only, there are other (better imo) solutions if I am willing to spend.

Maybe if I can find an older mini///

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Thanks for the info.

I have a very fast wireless network, that's never been an issue on any media file. The problem I consistently run into is that I can watch an item or two, but then when exiting to select another, it freezes and requires a hard reboot.

It's a really odd issue I've been unable to nail down :/

The issue with the mini is.. it's really expensive. Given there's nowhere near enough storage, and so far not a lot of grunt either, I can't see why I would go that route instead of just buying a boxee box, which will just stream everything. The point of going with atv would be price only, there are other (better imo) solutions if I am willing to spend.

Maybe if I can find an older mini///

I am betting on the refurb and used mini's dropping in price a lot once the refreshed units are announced...

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
London
Well, there isn't much available refurbed now... hopefully they get some 'base' refurbs in so we can see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.