Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natcin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2016
hi all, recently got the new MBP, and first time using Sierra after jumping over from Lion.

over the past week, ive been having random pop-ups (opening in new tab) when using Safari.

i managed to catch the first URL, and its always this bs.serving-sys.com before instantly redirecting to some advert page.

ive been deleting serving-sys.com cookie from Safari, and set cookie permissions to "Allow from current website only" but it keeps respawning every time i start up Safari.

if i go to bs.serving-sys.com, it shows a Sizmek Advertising Server page.

im worried that it is mal/adware. surprising for me as ive been using my old 2011 MBA for 6 years now, and ive never ever had issues like that, but switching over to Sierra for 2 weeks, and 1 week in i get this. i thought the newer OSes are more secure.

if it is, how to i get rid of it permanently?

thank you!

Last edited:

natcin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2016
thank you for the link. just downloaded it and ran a scan, but was told that no problems were found.

natcin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2016
thanks for your reply. i do not have any safari extensions installed

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
thank you for the link. just downloaded it and ran a scan, but was told that no problems were found.
Quit Safari, then hold the shift key down as you launch it again. That should stop it from automatically redirecting back to that site.

natcin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2016
Quit Safari, then hold the shift key down as you launch it again. That should stop it from automatically redirecting back to that site.

it doesnt just redirect to the site whenever i open safari. it pops up randomly when im surfing the web.

Try deleting all the website data from Safari.

did that. will see if i still get the popup.

thanks for the help guys!

natcin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2016
will try that too thanks! just more worried if it was some malware, instead of just random popups.

Richical

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2019
hi all, recently got the new MBP, and first time using Sierra after jumping over from Lion.

over the past week, ive been having random pop-ups (opening in new tab) when using Safari.

i managed to catch the first URL, and its always this bs.serving-sys.com before instantly redirecting to some advert page.

ive been deleting serving-sys.com cookie from Safari, and set cookie permissions to "Allow from current website only" but it keeps respawning every time i start up Safari.

if i go to bs.serving-sys.com, it shows a Sizmek Advertising Server page.

im worried that it is mal/adware. surprising for me as ive been using my old 2011 MBA for 6 years now, and ive never ever had issues like that, but switching over to Sierra for 2 weeks, and 1 week in i get this. i thought the newer OSes are more secure.

if it is, how to i get rid of it permanently?

thank you!
[doublepost=1555313847][/doublepost]Go to Safari preferences, click on Manage Website Data, search for serving-sys, delete all results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.