Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

withsongs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Hi you guys, I’m preparing to buy a new MacBook Pro 16, but now that I researched a little more, I’m a little concerned. If I’m getting a MBP16 now, is it worthy to upgrade to a higher CPU? Or 32GB ram? Or 8GB GPU? it will mainly be used for Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro, and I’m considering the upgrade mainly for future need since you can’t upgrade it yourself later on. But if you can only use it for ~5 years considering the possibility of Apple stopping the support for intel based machines after they transit to Apple silicon, do these upgrades make no sense any more?

Thank you for your Help!

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
5 years considering the possibility of Apple stopping the support for intel based machines after they transit to Apple silicon, do these upgrades make no sense any more?
Any or none upgrades won't make sense in 5 years anyway. Just take a look at new MBP 13 inch, which is more powerful than 5 years old 15 inch Macs. But it doesn't change the fact, that you will be able to do most of the stuff with current offerings in your software for many year to come unless you wan't to update software frequently for no reason.

withsongs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Any or none upgrades won't make sense in 5 years anyway. Just take a look at new MBP 13 inch, which is more powerful than 5 years old 15 inch Macs. But it doesn't change the fact, that you will be able to do most of the stuff with current offerings in your software for many year to come unless you wan't to update software frequently for no reason.

Thank you ctjack. That's true. Just hope the system won't have big issues when they stop supporting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.