Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rscott505

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I know it's not necessarily new news, but the article in this link is troubling.

If cable internet services start to charge based on bandwidth, then this would destroy the cost benefit that I have with :apple:TV over on demand. (Typically, the movies are $1 to 2 cheaper on :apple:TV than cable on demand).

It just seems to me that the cable internet providers will use this band width limitation or extra charge as a means to quash competition.

Not fair, and makes me wish that someone would actually take on the cable companies.

Time Warner Launches Bandwidth-Capped Internet Plan - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20080603/bs_nf/60098

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
workaround...

One workaround when approaching a bandwidth cap, although not convenient or desirable, is to take a laptop to a free WiFi hotspot, and download a movie in iTunes, then bring the laptop home and sync to the appleTV. Apple would have to enable HD downloads to iTunes for this to work for people with HDTVs.

I am not thrilled with these developments. Perhaps this will drive us to switch to DSL, which is structured differently and is apparently not impacted in the same way by a small percentage of internet power users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.