Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I heard somewhere that Catalina is NOT compatible with OpenCore, although I just wanted to make sure. I was trying to install Catalina on a separate volume (to have a completely fresh installation to test compatibility with my third-party hardware... long story), and when I plugged in the USB installer, nothing showed up, so that tells me that Catalina doesn't work with OCLP, but maybe there's a workaround?

If it's not compatible, is there an alternate way I can get Catalina on the machine? It's a 5,1 Mac Pro with a Radeon W5500 video card, and thus, doesn't have the native EFI boot screen.

Why I want to test Catalina is because I question whether Monterey is the cause of all my issues, so I want to have an older OS to test this hardware with.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
The current release of OCLP supports Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura. I think you'd have to go back to release 0.4.3 for Catalina, but you'd probably be on your own, i.e. no support from the devs.

I've used this Catalina patcher in the past and it worked very well.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
OCLP actually boots my Catalina. I used DosDude's patch to install it. It runs via normal boot and OCLP.

My OCLP is on 0.62 nightly build. But is also works with 0.61. I did not install Catalina with it.
I was trying to install it "plain" without the DosDude patch, and it didn't work... that's why I was wondering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.