Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heliophobicdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
TX
Hi Guys!

Since the El Capitan update I have been keeping an eye on my activity monitor. Lately, I have seen one process consistently steal exactly 1.05 GB of memory. The name of the process is called com.apple.Safari.History. It pops right back into existence after being force-quit. It still runs after safari has been quited as well!

I'm just asking if this is familiar to anyone else as well.

By the way, it's not a root process of any sort.

This is a screenshot of my activity monitor.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm on El Capitan and I don't have that process running, but I have iCloud Safari sync turned off and I suspect that is the difference. I bet that is the iCloud sync service for Safari history. I wonder if turning Safari sync off in iCloud then turning it back on would help?

Maybe turn it off then erase the Safari history then turn it back on.

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Agree with Weaselboy.

I have my Safari set to clear history after a month. Help keep Safari running smoothly, not having to deal with all the extra crud due to REALLY old history that is probably not important to me (I bookmark/reading list important stuff, otherwise really don't care and probably won't visit that page again; can probably find anyway with some Google-ing).

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have history going back to March 2015 and all iCloud safari settings turned on. My com.app.Safari.History process is using 56.6MB

gebiss

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2019
I know it's old post but just wanted to add that I had similar issue where com.apple.Safari.History process was taking 6.74GB of memory despite Safari being quitted. I run iOS Mojave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.