Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Due to impatience, I'd like to buy in retail, so it's either the PNY for $150 or $200 at Apple. Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City, and Office Depot in my area are all sold out. Is PNY RAM okay?

Also, from what I can tell, this is the right kind of RAM for my PB:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=296587&pfp=BROWSE

Please correct me if I am wrong so I don't buy the wrong type.

Thanks,
Amin

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i think it's right... pc2100 ddr sodimm.

did you try crucial? they gave me free 2 day shipping when i bought mine. i think they are cheaper than compusa...

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
They do have it cheaper, but I really felt like buying from a regular store today. Now to find a Size 00 Phillips screwdriver!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by amin
They do have it cheaper, but I really felt like buying from a regular store today. Now to find a Size 00 Phillips screwdriver!

oh yeah... be real careful. you really need to make sure of the following:

1) put the powerbook on a soft material. you want to be able to push fairly hard on your screwdriver...

2) get the right sized screw driver - any eye glass fixing kit should do.

3) press firmly down on the screwdriver and steadily turn the screw. if you strip the screw, you are pretty much screwed. (no pun intended...)

4) i found that screws turn quite easily after the initial resistance. try different screws if the first one doesn't turn much.

after you open it, it's really easy to install the RAM.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Thanks for the advice. I started trying to open the tiny screws using a knife tip, but after ever so slightly stripping the screws I got the right size screwdriver from Radio Shack. From there it was easy. It sure is a pleasure to have more RAM!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.