Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Microsoft Corporation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2018
hi,

im looking to customize the icons on my macbook running 10.15, however, i tend to get the "you dont have sufficient permission" messages when going through the "get info" window. i did disable SIP but that didn't work. Im not sure if you're able to customize icons in os 10.15 like older mac os versions. Any ideas?

ArrayOfLilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Budapest, Hungary
hi,

im looking to customize the icons on my macbook running 10.15, however, i tend to get the "you dont have sufficient permission" messages when going through the "get info" window. i did disable SIP but that didn't work. Im not sure if you're able to customize icons in os 10.15 like older mac os versions. Any ideas?
Yes, you can. (I did it. Except for Safari’s icon, it’s a mystery yet.)

There’s an old thread, but the method is same as in Big Sur. You can live mount MacintoshHD and change the Application icons and the System Folder icons too. For the latter you need a utility. (When the MacHD is live mounted, you can change the login screen also.) Sounds worse than it really is.

You’ll find all the details in this thread: Changing System Icons on Big Sur

Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.