Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrh2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I have hundreds of Sony Digital8 tapes and a fair number of Sony Hi8 Tapes. After a catastrophic disaster to my HDDs all my digitised versions of the material on these tapes were lost. So I now need to re-digitise the whole lot as quickly as possible as time has degraded the image and sound quality. The camera I recorded the interview material contained on these tapes and used to digitise them, the Sony DCR-TRV330, is now starting to die. After looking for a replacement option, I found the Sony GV-D200 which looks like it could help my workflow due to not having to turn the camera upside down each time I have to change the tape plus it would fit well on my desk next to all the other essential editing pherphials. So with all that said my question is:

Will a completely refurbished Sony GV-D200 enable me to digitise my Hi8 and Digital8 tapes using FCP 6?

Will I be able to preview what I am digitising and control the device within FCP 6? Will it digitise the tapes at a higher quality than using the now 17 year old Sony DCR-TRV330 camera? I use a Sony HVR-M15U to digitise my miniHDV tapes using FCP 6 and I can control the deck and preview what I'm digitising. Plus, it does a far superior job as far as capturing better quality of video and audio as opposed to using the camera I used to record the material I am now digitising. Will the Sony GV-D200 give me that same ability when digitising Hi8 and Digital8 tapes?

I'm using the Sony HVR-M15U on a Mac Mini with a 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor and 4Gb of RAM and for a Mac with such low Specs it does sas good a job as my late 2015 iMac. Will the Sony GV-D200 work as well on this Mac mini as the Sony HVR-M15U?

Any advice, answers or comments would be very much appreciated.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Look at a conversion shop. They have the best equipment and may be less cost in the long run, certainly much less of your time. Off hand I don't recall the best ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.