Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bugnacious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Is it possible for those people who have successfully installed XP to comment on the Formatting type they have chosen.

Ie. there is a choice to make during the original the partitioning which BootCamp leads you through - a FAT partition instead of NTFS.........or what ever.
Which did people choose?
I went for stability as - as it said NTFS was more stable - but FAT was more compatible. Is this the key??

I've Installed 64bit Xp but the drivers are not working, or installed properly and things like graphics and sound don't work properly. I thought it had something to do with Service pack 2 not being loaded, but then does that matter if you get all the softwareupdates?

studiox

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Stockholm / Sweden
If it's really important for you to share files between Windows and OSx you should chose either 1xFAT partitation or 1xFAT (Like 5-10 Gig) for exchange data and 1xNTFS for Windows XP64.

Note that Apple doesn't support 64 bit XP with bootcamp. Meaning there are No drivers for 64 bit. You have to download them yourself (Read another thread here about how you do that).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Following the directions exactly and/or knowing what you're doing are the keys to successful installation. The only installs recommended by Apple with Boot Camp are using a 32 bit retail XP Home or Pro CD-ROM that already has SP2 included. NTFS or FAT32 do not make a difference here.

For anything else, you are venturing into unknown/possibly dangerous situations and should proceed at your own risk.

This doesn't mean it won't/can't work, but it won't be as straightforward as the recommended installs.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.