Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KKStoklund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Denmark
Hi guys,

I'm currently running Max Payne 3 downloaded from the App Store on my 750M Macbook Pro in OSX Mavericks, but I don't think it is running it very well. If I installed the PC version of Max Payne 3 on a Windows 7 partition through Boot Camp would it perform better? Or would performance be the same?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I would anticipate that it will perform better in Windows. I don't know about OS X 10.9, but there were some benchmarks with various games showing at least slightly better performance when run in Windows compared with OS X (either 10.8 or 10.7, I can't remember) on the same hardware.

I don't remember if the conclusion was that OS X's graphical drivers weren't as well-tuned as the drivers for Windows or if the game itself was better-tuned for Windows. Another thing to be aware of is that some Windows ports are really not optimized for OS X at all, and instead are run through fancy wrappers to make it work on OS X (The Witcher is an example of this). I don't think that Max Payne suffers from that exact problem, though.

MichalM.Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2006
Are you are comfortable with rebooting your machine to play games?
If you say YES -> Windows is probably better gaming solution for you.

Max Payne 3 is cider port. Performance is always going to be worse than in Windows. Question is by how much. When Rockstar released it on Steam it didn't work. It took them week+ to fix the issue. I encountered a few bugs during my playthrough (missing textures) <- they might be fixed by now.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hi guys,

I'm currently running Max Payne 3 downloaded from the App Store on my 750M Macbook Pro in OSX Mavericks, but I don't think it is running it very well. If I installed the PC version of Max Payne 3 on a Windows 7 partition through Boot Camp would it perform better? Or would performance be the same?

Now since Macs have had their OpenGL stack upgraded to 4.1, it really helps to create more of a performance parity in most games.

However, depending on the quality of the Mac port, and the GPU drivers, there may be issues with certain games. Bioshock Infinite, for example, under Mavericks, got an 8% boost for systems with AMD GPUs, whereas systems with nvidia GPUs (like myself) saw a performance drop.

Max Payne 3 for OSX has its own performance issues. I'm surprised you hadn't read it.

There will always be issues (even with Windows gaming), but on the whole, gaming natively in OSX is better now than ever before.

The only real reason I can see for gaming in Windows on a Mac via Bootcamp is if the titles you want to play are just not coming to Mac, OR you just don't want to wait. And if you're ok paying $100+ for a copy of Windows.

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
it is a general fact that Direct X > dated mac open GL. Direct X will never come to mac because MS owns it and wouldn't want to lose profits. You will have to install windows on your mac for games which kinda sucks having an OS just for games taking us space on a mac.

You could always do what I do and have a console for games (very well priced comparing to a pc game rig) and play on the couch :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi guys,

Better performance on Windows, however it may or may not make that much difference depending on the game and your expectations.

Last edited:

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
Max Payne 3 for OS X is a really, really terrible port (sloppy Cider) You'll see a big improvement in both stability and performance running the windows version in bootcamp

Sauce: Was dumb enough to buy it on MAS

----------

sc 2 is great.

Fact! Blizzard has some pretty good performance on OSX. Diablo III is on par with the windows version IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.