Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I read that a Windows backup software called Genie Timeline Home is just like TimeMachine for Mac OS. Anybody has experience using it? Is it as simple and as good as TimeMachine to back up Windows machines?

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
Genie Timeline is very good. I find it simple to use and reliable for my everyday data backups. And it's fast.

It depends on what you mean by 'back up windows machines'.

The last time I created a bootable full system restorable image to save on an external HDD or USB I used Acronis True Image 2019. I just think Acronis is a bit more reliable for that kind of thing. For normal incremental daily or weekly data backup I found that Acronis was fine at the beginning then simply stopped working as the incrementals became corrupted easily (meaning you couldn't retrieve anything younger than the gashed incremental) and the restore interface is incredibly slow and buggy.

drmeatball

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
Ellicott City, MD
Yes it is. The interface isn’t quite as intuitive as Time Machine, but the gist is the same and it works as it should. Definitely has saved my bacon a few times.

There are a few small kinks here and there I experienced (esp with audio production or coding with lots of tracks/files and lots of writes) but otherwise it’s a great alternative.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Hi, I read that a Windows backup software called Genie Timeline Home is just like TimeMachine for Mac OS. Anybody has experience using it? Is it as simple and as good as TimeMachine to back up Windows machines?

Yes. It's very similar to Time Machine. The other alternative is Acronis True Image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.