Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami3332

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2023
I am looking into buying an iPad, either iPad 9th gen (350€) or second hand Air 4 (420€). I already have MacBook Air M1, that I am 100% happy with, mostly I do Uni work, read PDFs, Excel work and content consumption. But I am thinking that maybe iPad can do PDF annotation better and is more convenient while traveling. I am afraid that iPad will end up on my shelf, that I won't find any use for it.

Is it worth investing in, also which iPad should I get? Maybe share how buying iPad changed your workflow, so I can relate better.

Thank you

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
YMMV

I use mine a lot for reading and web browsing (which is pretty much what I used my personal laptop for, too). I'm like 90% iPad at home (granted, 90% Windows desktop at work).

Buy from somewhere with a good return policy in case you end up not liking the iPad.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I am looking into buying an iPad, either iPad 9th gen (350€) or second hand Air 4 (420€). I already have MacBook Air M1, that I am 100% happy with, mostly I do Uni work, read PDFs, Excel work and content consumption. But I am thinking that maybe iPad can do PDF annotation better and is more convenient while traveling. I am afraid that iPad will end up on my shelf, that I won't find any use for it.

Is it worth investing in, also which iPad should I get? Maybe share how buying iPad changed your workflow, so I can relate better.

Thank you
The one that iPad really shines in my case is as reading tablet and taking annotation. I tried using word, excel and ppt (also with Magic Keyboard) but it’s very limited.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Thank you
I own both an iPad 9th gen and iPad Mini 5 and use both daily extensively for PDF annotation, digital note-taking, planning, journaling. I have a variety of covers, keyboard covers, cases, and keyboard cases to be able to use them in a variety of use cases. Cases and covers are relatively inexpensive ways to leverage the flexibility of the tablet form-factor.

By using Apple's smart keyboard cover, my iPad 9th gen turns into an ultrabook of sorts. And because it is essentially a smartcover with a built-in keyboard, I can easily detach it and use it as a tablet. I have a smart cover that I use when I know that I won't be spending any lengthy time typing.

I have a Zagg keyboard case for my iPad Mini 5. This combo becomes a netbook that can fit in a coat pocket. When I want to use it as a mini notepad or ereader, I pop it out of the case and snap on a smart cover.

I have a 3rd party active Pencil (I'll write up a review soon) that I can easily use between the two with no need to pair or worry about battery drain that are issues with the Apple Pencil 1. (I have a Pencil 1 that I use when I need it)

As for productivity with something like MS Office... forget it. Except for the most basic file formats, it is near impossible to do any serious MS Office work on any iPad.

I've owned a variety of iPads over the years and for everything that I was able to do on my 12.9 iPad Pro, I am able to do with my 9th gen iPad.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
ahhhh the iPad… the device everyone wants to be their main computing device but is always strangled by Apple’s constant attempts to hamper its abilities.

I would possibly wait for WWDC before asking the question as opinions may change if apple do something drastic to the OS… but in its current form and software…

It’s great for reading, taking notes and your sofa surfing bit of tech but other than that it’s just not worth the $$$… at this stage I would maybe consider the iPad mini or at a push the Air…

I feel the 9th Gen is far too dated at this point and that non laminated display really destroys the experience, same as the 10th Gen iPad which is way over priced for what it is.

The iPad mini is a perfect iPad it’s not trying to be anything it isn’t, gives you pretty much the full experience of the iPad in a nice portable form factor… if you want a bit more screen real estate pick up the Air.

Is an iPad worth buying…. At this point only get it if you get a really good deal either refurb or second hand if you feel you will benefit from it… I certainly wouldn’t be forking out apples full asking price for any of them at the moment.

jchurchill

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2021
Depending on how much work you really need the Mac for, yes, there is a high risk that the iPad will wind up on the shelf. I had many reasons to get an iPad pro + pencil (art, business, TV shows during exercise, reference, studying, etc.), but 3 years later I struggle to keep using it. And despite the recent feature improvements, the Mac and iPad still don't work well together. They are like devices from two separate companies. Even apps that run on both (Affinity Designer, Goodnotes) don't work well together and have different bugs on each side. I even bought iMazing (with all its faults) to make the transfer of data easier. The iPad browser experience sucks. Syncing fails. Simple actions require lots of button presses and menus. Working with files is a joke. All the problems just encourage me to set it aside and work on the Mac, because at least then I can get stuff done.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Depending on how much work you really need the Mac for, yes, there is a high risk that the iPad will wind up on the shelf. I had many reasons to get an iPad pro + pencil (art, business, TV shows during exercise, reference, studying, etc.), but 3 years later I struggle to keep using it. And despite the recent feature improvements, the Mac and iPad still don't work well together. They are like devices from two separate companies. Even apps that run on both (Affinity Designer, Goodnotes) don't work well together and have different bugs on each side. I even bought iMazing (with all its faults) to make the transfer of data easier. The iPad browser experience sucks. Syncing fails. Simple actions require lots of button presses and menus. Working with files is a joke. All the problems just encourage me to set it aside and work on the Mac, because at least then I can get stuff done.
Yeah I agree I remember having a conversation on here with someone who was claiming that an iPad can do everything a Mac can do with workarounds etc… and my point was I don’t want to have workarounds or new ways of doing things, I just want the device to ‘just work’ and not have to figure out how to do something differently.

Otherwise your just spending more time figuring out how to do something different on the iPad rather than just getting the important thing done which is whatever you actually need to get done.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
If you don't have budget restrictions, I would say Air 4.
However, what sracer wrote is of major importance. I'm finding sracer to be the best iPad evaluator, honestly. At least, I identify myself with his opinions.

I own both an iPad 9th gen and iPad Mini 5 and use both daily extensively for PDF annotation, digital note-taking, planning, journaling. I have a variety of covers, keyboard covers, cases, and keyboard cases to be able to use them in a variety of use cases. Cases and covers are relatively inexpensive ways to leverage the flexibility of the tablet form-factor.

By using Apple's smart keyboard cover, my iPad 9th gen turns into an ultrabook of sorts. And because it is essentially a smartcover with a built-in keyboard, I can easily detach it and use it as a tablet. I have a smart cover that I use when I know that I won't be spending any lengthy time typing.

I have a Zagg keyboard case for my iPad Mini 5. This combo becomes a netbook that can fit in a coat pocket. When I want to use it as a mini notepad or ereader, I pop it out of the case and snap on a smart cover.

I have a 3rd party active Pencil (I'll write up a review soon) that I can easily use between the two with no need to pair or worry about battery drain that are issues with the Apple Pencil 1. (I have a Pencil 1 that I use when I need it)

As for productivity with something like MS Office... forget it. Except for the most basic file formats, it is near impossible to do any serious MS Office work on any iPad.

I've owned a variety of iPads over the years and for everything that I was able to do on my 12.9 iPad Pro, I am able to do with my 9th gen iPad.

As you can see, the iPad 9 can do everything with ease. I do use an iPad 9th gen and it feels great. I just haven't find yet the best PDF APP, but I'm willing to try Noteful's pro version.
Tablets in general are an ergonomic nightmare. I'm glad sracer did find something productive to work with.
For me, well...some days I'm loving it, others I want to see a better case or something different to test it. I feel that newer iPads (like the 4th gen Air) will have better case options.

For general note-taking and some basic handwritten notes, the iPad 9 performs very well.
A PDF reader like this is very useful, so I would say it matches very well the capacity of a Macbook, they are a great team to help you. I didn't want to replace my MBA, I just wanted a platform to PDFs and basic media content!
Now, for what you do, this classic iPad will do it very well. But if you want a better screen and maybe more case options, I'll give the iPad Air a try.

Sracer, what do you think about your iPad mini 5, by the way?!

Attachments

• IMG_8860.JPG
    IMG_8860.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8858.JPG
    IMG_8858.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8861.JPG
    IMG_8861.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: Sami3332

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If you don't have budget restrictions, I would say Air 4.
However, what sracer wrote is of major importance. I'm finding sracer to be the best iPad evaluator, honestly. At least, I identify myself with his opinions.

As you can see, the iPad 9 can do everything with ease. I do use an iPad 9th gen and it feels great. I just haven't find yet the best PDF APP, but I'm willing to try Noteful's pro version.
Tablets in general are an ergonomic nightmare. I'm glad sracer did find something productive to work with.
For me, well...some days I'm loving it, others I want to see a better case or something different to test it. I feel that newer iPads (like the 4th gen Air) will have better case options.

For general note-taking and some basic handwritten notes, the iPad 9 performs very well.
A PDF reader like this is very useful, so I would say it matches very well the capacity of a Macbook, they are a great team to help you. I didn't want to replace my MBA, I just wanted a platform to PDFs and basic media content!
Now, for what you do, this classic iPad will do it very well. But if you want a better screen and maybe more case options, I'll give the iPad Air a try.

Sracer, what do you think about your iPad mini 5, by the way?!
Thank you for your kind words. There are many who enjoy and appreciate the added hardware features that are present in the higher end Air and Pro models. For them, the additional cost (of the device itself, and higher cost accessories) is worth it. My enjoyment and enthusiasm for the basic iPad and older form-factor is not to invalidate their experiences.

I have already been through the "can the iPad replace a laptop?" phase... perhaps harder and longer than most. The result is that for many, it can be an alternative to a chromebook. I'm a chromebook fan and own a few, but except for ChromeOS-specific workflows, an iPad can accomplish the same tasks.

As a replacement for a laptop (running a traditional desktop OS)? Not for those people who need a laptop. There are many who have laptops but don't use the them beyond browsing the web, email, media consumption, and social media. They can swap that laptop out for an iPad and roll on.

Here is my 9th gen with the Apple Smart Keyboard (ASK). IMO, there simply is no better, lighter, cost-effective option for any iPad for a keyboard that attaches to the iPad. I'm a touch-typist so less key resistance and less key travel allow me to type faster and more accurately. When I owned a 12.9 Pro, I had the ASK for it and it was a joy to type on and I was glad to see that it was available for the 9th gen (the last iPad to have one).
9th-keyboard.png

Here's the 9th gen with a 3rd party Pencil. The pencil uses the same tech as the Logi Crayon (no pressure sensitivity or tilt, but palm rejection). No pairing is necessary. Visually and somewhat functionally, it is a rip on the Apple Pencil 2. It is magnetic and has a flat side that allows it to attach to the iPad (and even better to the smartcover). The magnet is so secure that I feel comfortable transporting the combo without the need to further secure the Pencil.

Regarding the non-laminated screen... compared to the laminated screen of my Mini 5, I can notice the difference when held side-by-side. However... I use matte screen protectors on all of my tablets, and the properties of the protector minimize the appearance of the gap.
9th-pencil.png

Here's the Mini 5 with Apple SmartCover. This is a super light and thin combination. For size comparison the 3rd party Pencil with the USB-C connect displayed.
mini-pencil.png

Mini 5 as an ereader. The Mini 5 with a matte screen protector makes it feel like a legit color ereader. I use the Pocketbook app as my primary reader since it supports the widest variety of formats.
mini-ereader.png

Skin on the back. One way to keep the iPad thin and light is to use a skin for the back surface. Both the Mini 5 and 9th gen iPad have a clear skin on the back. It protects the iPad from scratches and improves the grip. I've never had the need for more protection than a smartcover on front, skin on the back.

mini-skin.png

Mini 5 as a digital notepad. The mini makes a great digital notebook. Here it is with my digital planner in GoodNotes.
mini-planner.png

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I got the iPad Pro 12.9 cellular in December 2021 and to be honest its just been a paperweight for 90% of last year as I never used it. However these last 3 months I've forced myself to and to be honest its very capable for most daily and work tasks. I think the problem is for most of us is that we've become to set in our ways of Mac OS and how a proper computer operates.

I just bought the pencil last night and im enjoying using that as well..

If I'm honest mine was a bit of an impulse buy as it was on a deal with my phone provider. While you have the M1 Mac Air I probably wouldn't bother getting it as I don't you probably wouldn't use it as much.. unless like me, you really force yourself to.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Thank you for showing your work environment, @sracer!
Here in Europe is very difficult to have skins like yours. Some come from the UK, but I have bad experiences recently. I definitively want one, because its way lighter than this case I have.
I definitively want to test Apple's keyboard.
Can you link the Pencil you are using in the iPad 9? Seems very cool and lighter than the AP1.
Final words about the Mini 5th: great! For some cases is great to have it nearby. Maybe one day I'll grab one!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Thank you for your kind words. There are many who enjoy and appreciate the added hardware features that are present in the higher end Air and Pro models. For them, the additional cost (of the device itself, and higher cost accessories) is worth it. My enjoyment and enthusiasm for the basic iPad and older form-factor is not to invalidate their experiences.

I have already been through the "can the iPad replace a laptop?" phase... perhaps harder and longer than most. The result is that for many, it can be an alternative to a chromebook. I'm a chromebook fan and own a few, but except for ChromeOS-specific workflows, an iPad can accomplish the same tasks.

As a replacement for a laptop (running a traditional desktop OS)? Not for those people who need a laptop. There are many who have laptops but don't use the them beyond browsing the web, email, media consumption, and social media. They can swap that laptop out for an iPad and roll on.

Here is my 9th gen with the Apple Smart Keyboard (ASK). IMO, there simply is no better, lighter, cost-effective option for any iPad for a keyboard that attaches to the iPad. I'm a touch-typist so less key resistance and less key travel allow me to type faster and more accurately. When I owned a 12.9 Pro, I had the ASK for it and it was a joy to type on and I was glad to see that it was available for the 9th gen (the last iPad to have one).
View attachment 2163193

Here's the 9th gen with a 3rd party Pencil. The pencil uses the same tech as the Logi Crayon (no pressure sensitivity or tilt, but palm rejection). No pairing is necessary. Visually and somewhat functionally, it is a rip on the Apple Pencil 2. It is magnetic and has a flat side that allows it to attach to the iPad (and even better to the smartcover). The magnet is so secure that I feel comfortable transporting the combo without the need to further secure the Pencil.

Regarding the non-laminated screen... compared to the laminated screen of my Mini 5, I can notice the difference when held side-by-side. However... I use matte screen protectors on all of my tablets, and the properties of the protector minimize the appearance of the gap.
View attachment 2163194

Here's the Mini 5 with Apple SmartCover. This is a super light and thin combination. For size comparison the 3rd party Pencil with the USB-C connect displayed.
View attachment 2163195

Mini 5 as an ereader. The Mini 5 with a matte screen protector makes it feel like a legit color ereader. I use the Pocketbook app as my primary reader since it supports the widest variety of formats.
View attachment 2163199

Skin on the back. One way to keep the iPad thin and light is to use a skin for the back surface. Both the Mini 5 and 9th gen iPad have a clear skin on the back. It protects the iPad from scratches and improves the grip. I've never had the need for more protection than a smartcover on front, skin on the back.

View attachment 2163219

Mini 5 as a digital notepad. The mini makes a great digital notebook. Here it is with my digital planner in GoodNotes.
View attachment 2163200
Love GoodNotes with the Franklin Covey style digital planner. Also is great for doing presentations as you can highlight and annotate to show importance on the go while you are presenting. No need for a flip chart when you have your iPad and Pencil in hand.

Reactions: Sami3332 and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thank you for showing your work environment, @sracer!
Here in Europe is very difficult to have skins like yours. Some come from the UK, but I have bad experiences recently. I definitively want one, because its way lighter than this case I have.
I definitively want to test Apple's keyboard.
Can you link the Pencil you are using in the iPad 9? Seems very cool and lighter than the AP1.
Final words about the Mini 5th: great! For some cases is great to have it nearby. Maybe one day I'll grab one!
Here's a little secret... the "skins" I use are simply clear Con-Tact paper... the stuff that is used to cover cabinet shelves, books, etc. It is easy to cut and apply. Stays on but easy to peel off... with absolutely no residue when you remove it.

Here in the States I can pick up a roll at the local Dollar store and the roll is long enough to cover a dozen iPads. The picture (Robot B9 in the photo) is something I printed out on my printer, cut out, placed it on the back of the iPad, and then overlaid it with the clear contact paper.

Here's a link to the 3rd part pen I use... I've been using it for 2 weeks and am delighted with it.

Reactions: RaphaZ

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Here's a little secret... the "skins" I use are simply clear Con-Tact paper... the stuff that is used to cover cabinet shelves, books, etc. It is easy to cut and apply. Stays on but easy to peel off... with absolutely no residue when you remove it.

Here in the States I can pick up a roll at the local Dollar store and the roll is long enough to cover a dozen iPads. The picture (Robot B9 in the photo) is something I printed out on my printer, cut out, placed it on the back of the iPad, and then overlaid it with the clear contact paper.

Here's a link to the 3rd part pen I use... I've been using it for 2 weeks and am delighted with it.
WOW, great trick! Loved it.
Thank you for sharing all these options!

EDIT: The stylus you've mentioned don't exist in the European Amazon, but I think there are similars to yours. Does your stylus work completely? I've read that there are button features, do they perform neatly with the 9th gen?

Last edited:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

How on earth do you get the contact paper cut exactly to fit it? I’m so stinking fussy - even with the skins that are cut precisely.

• Haha
Reactions: RaphaZ

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How on earth do you get the contact paper cut exactly to fit it? I’m so stinking fussy - even with the skins that are cut precisely.
At first I used to apply the contact paper first and then take time to trim it. It is very forgiving and you can lift up, cut, and place back down repeatedly without affecting the stickiness. But then I discovered that it wasn't necessary to be so precise.

I now cut out a rectangle with curved corners large enough to cover the back without needing to cut out for the camera and mic. If you look at one of the photos I posted you can see that.

WOW, great trick! Loved it.
Thank you for sharing all these options!

EDIT: The stylus you've mentioned don't exist in the European Amazon, but I think there are similars to yours. Does your stylus work completely? I've read that there are button features, do they perform neatly with the 9th gen?
My stylus works "completely" in that it does what the manufacturer claims it will do. Palm rejection and recognized by the iPads as a Pencil... but no pressure sensitivity. There are no buttons on it. The top of the Pencil is a touch-enabled power button that turns the stylus on and off.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

OP, it depends on what you want the iPad for.

In general, I agree with @sracer, home button-design iOS devices are rather underrated today, they work very well, and their price is a cool factor. The iPad 9th gen can do most of what higher-end iPads do. And there are people who prefer this design language.

I have a new-design iPhone and iPad combo, but I maintain a home-button combo because I like it. In no way has getting newer iOS devices curtailed my enjoyment of my iPhone 6s and 9.7-inch iPad Pro. They are great devices.

@sracer your description is great, you’ve frequently praised this design language and I agree with your assessment.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
At first I used to apply the contact paper first and then take time to trim it. It is very forgiving and you can lift up, cut, and place back down repeatedly without affecting the stickiness. But then I discovered that it wasn't necessary to be so precise.

I now cut out a rectangle with curved corners large enough to cover the back without needing to cut out for the camera and mic. If you look at one of the photos I posted you can see that.

My stylus works "completely" in that it does what the manufacturer claims it will do. Palm rejection and recognized by the iPads as a Pencil... but no pressure sensitivity. There are no buttons on it. The top of the Pencil is a touch-enabled power button that turns the stylus on and off.
Oh, ok!
Final question: regarding temperature and battery draining, do you feel any difference with the new stylus? Would that one be better in terms of energy saving in the tablet? Does a bluetooth stylus eventually warms the tablet?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

C6155E17-CCC8-4375-B16E-8542BB3ED787.jpeg

This is my skin. Covers the full back and all the edges.

• Love
Reactions: Shanghaichica

Sami3332

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2023
Thank you Guys for your replies, I wasn't meaning to use it as a laptop replacement, just as a complimentary device to my MB Air. I think I will hold on with the purchase until there will be some real necessity to have iPad, meanwhile I'll find some powerful PDF annotating app (currently I am trying FluidText, which looks interesting), maybe if anybody has some tips for apps, feel free to comment :)

Thanks for saving me couple of hundreds of bucks XD

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Thank you Guys for your replies, I wasn't meaning to use it as a laptop replacement, just as a complimentary device to my MB Air. I think I will hold on with the purchase until there will be some real necessity to have iPad, meanwhile I'll find some powerful PDF annotating app (currently I am trying FluidText, which looks interesting), maybe if anybody has some tips for apps, feel free to comment :)

Hey OP, it is great to help people here!
A tablet can be useful, and you can still save some bucks. For instance, I’m aware people can highlight and do simple note-taking without having Apple Pencil. Take that in mind!

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

Have you tried MarginNotes 3? I tried and compared with FluidText for few weeks. I found that MarginNotes is better (better organization/more intuitive and more feature)

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
I have an iPad Pro and I love it. Use it daily. On the couch at night watching tv with my wife I can surf, YouTube, message buddies, etc. I use teamviewer and can pull up all the computers in the house from it. Gives some full mac/PC use. The FaceTime is terrific for work meetings or remote hang nights with friends

I’ve tried using it for actual work and it’s a slow miserable experience lol. Excel and email is clunky and slow. Multitasking works but only in leisure setups. Messaging while watching YouTube etc.

iPads are incredible convenience devices
Terrible work devices

Love mine.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Some people make them their dedicated device. I on the other hand would never bother with one if I didn't use mine for art.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Depends what you do

For pilots iPads are basically standard issue for electronic flight bags, charts, manuals, etc, only issue is only the cellular ones have GPS, which is kinda lame to have to spend the $$ even though you don’t use the cell part of it, just to get the GPS chip

I also like using it for browsing and stuff

That’s said it ain’t a laptop, full stop, and its too big to carry with me, though a woman could probably purse one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.