Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
Google pop ups constantly want to know my location. Frequent searches bring me to quora asking me to sign into Google. My YouTube TV wants me to sign in again, through Google. Anyone else feeling like these prompts are getting more frequent? Kinda getting creeped out. I just switched do Duck Duck to get some peace of mind.

• Haha
Reactions: cateye

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
YouTube is owned by Google.

Although I have often said the same thing, technically it's not correct anymore. Google and YouTube are both owned by Alphabet. :)

"Who owns Google?
The company changed its name again in 2015 to Alphabet Inc., and now functions as a technology conglomerate owning Google and its subsidiaries. Insider reports Alphabet is structured into two parts: Google, and Other Bets, which focuses on the company’s other business ventures. Some of these companies include FitBit, Waze and YouTube."

Reactions: dotzero123

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
2012 google did some weird things....so I declined ever installing anything from them since.

I was also skeptical of the company in 2007 at the Javits center in NYC during a convention
google were not that big (but growing rapidly) and had a small both in the back.
the presenter persuaded us developers and web designers to use link to get better results.
what a scam I though, like having "a string of life vest that were un-attachable on the sinking titanic"
I remember telling a nearby person that while everyone was staring at this plastic wizard with amazement.

google has an anti- approach towards their users.
as Tim Cook pleaded years ago that "privacy" will be the main focus of the company.
there are so many precautions  takes for our privacy and safety
while google and Microsoft are the complete opposite.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Although I have often said the same thing, technically it's not correct anymore. Google and YouTube are both owned by Alphabet. :)

"Who owns Google?
The company changed its name again in 2015 to Alphabet Inc., and now functions as a technology conglomerate owning Google and its subsidiaries. Insider reports Alphabet is structured into two parts: Google, and Other Bets, which focuses on the company’s other business ventures. Some of these companies include FitBit, Waze and YouTube."
And yet if you subscribe to YouTube Premium, your credit card is charged by Google. It's a distinction without a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.