Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unrigestered

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
hi,
as the title says, last night, the IR portion of my ATV 4K 2nd gen suddenly stopped working while watching a movie, so volume up and down and mute suddenly don't work at all, while the rest is still working normally.
- tried it with the remote of my TV and another 3rd party TV remote and my TV can receive IR just fine
- looked into the ATV settings for IR control, changed it to the other options and back to auto
- restarted both my ATV and TV
- plugged my remote on a charger, despite having had more than 50% charge at that time

none of the key commands to restart the remote separately that you can find online worked

any idea, or similar experiences, other than having a faulty remote?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Are you sure you are resetting it correctly? On the few times mine has done it I was using the wrong keys without realising.

unrigestered

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
i am not completely familiar with all the button names, but i think i have tried most combinations just to make sure i wasn't using the wrong ones

from what i recall, i did:
1. "the touch area center button" + volume down for >5s
2. the "back" button + volume up for >5s
3. the "screen" (home?) button + left button for >5s

plus some variations with the other keys

edit: it worked now, via the "screen" (home?) button plus either volume up or down (i forget 😂)
so a big THANK YOU! 👍

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
7708dd6ef8f26077221b1dcff94965a9.jpg

Mine is the one on the right…the latest version which I think yours is too.

unrigestered

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
i was only reading the text only version, and probably was confusing the "TV/Control Centre Button" with a "center button", which i thought was the click function of the touch area in the center of the arrow keys 🤓

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.