Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I have Canon MP-160 printer that doesn't work for Mac. A friend of mine got it working with this:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php
But I'd like another opinion - is that piece of software safe to install to Mac?

Yes. I have used the printer drivers from Gimp Print before and it's safe to use. Also Sourceforge has been sold and no longer includes junk or spam with their downloads.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
@Vacamhia: Gutenprint is trustworthy. I know it from Linux, it is simply a collection of open-source printer drivers for Apple’s CUPS printing system. For what it’s worth: the installer packages are all signed with an Apple Developer Certificate, registered for the lead developer mentioned on the site. The project is also under active development and the source code can be inspected. I say that this is legit. The problem with SourceForge was that they offered their own installers with bundled adware, which they reportedly stopped doing. The Gutenprint installer is an ordinary installer package and upon superficial inspection I cannot see anything suspicious about it.

Last edited:

Vacamhia

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2016
@Vacamhia: Gutenprint is trustworthy. I know it from Linux, it is simply a collection of open-source printer drivers for Apple’s CUPS printing system. For what it’s worth: the installer packages are all signed with an Apple Developer Certificate, registered for the lead developer mentioned on the site. The project is also under active development and the source code can be inspected. I say that this is legit. The problem with SourceForge was that they offered their own installers with bundled adware, which they reportedly stopped doing. The Gutenprint installer is an ordinary installer package and upon superficial inspection I cannot see anything suspicious about it.

I see, thanks. Any idea when SourceForge cleaned itself up? I'm just surprised I never heard the site fixed itself. If it was recently, then that would explain it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.