Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
My family recently switched to using iCloud Drive for all our family files and Apple notes for my partner and I to use for everyday note sharing and to do lists, etc. I’ve used a variety of file sharing services, including Dropbox and Sync, and find apple‘s unreliable, slow and often not functional. I can’t rely on it to sync quickly. Sometimes it takes hours, sometimes it’s immediate. The other day I tried to turn off sync on one of my computers, then switch on again. It started downloading From the cloud, but then just stopped for no apparent reason. Today I wrote a quick note on my work computer about 15 minutes before i logged out. When I came home the note hadn‘t uploaded and so I had to start over again with what I had done.

is it really this bad and slow, or are there things I could to reset the syncing? Any tips would be greatly appreciated before I give up and go back to Sync.com. I don’t even know where to begin troubleshooting.

Thanks

Peter

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Yes, it is really that bad. Thank Tim Cook for trashing Apple.

iCloud is utterly worthless. Drop Box ALL the way.

iqmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Toronto
Yup I have found iCloud to be less and less reliable, sometimes taking hours to sync. I have resorted to SIGKILL'ing the iCloud process on my Macs to force it to sync whenever I find that the sync isn't happening.../usr/bin/pkill -9 bird

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
While I don't have many issues, my only real complaint would be the lack of a "sync now" button. Occasionally I find myself waiting for pictures to sync to my Mac from my iPhone, it never takes too long but when you need it fast you need it fast.

Last edited:

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Thanks everyone for the comments. I've now almost given up. It just doesn't sync reliably enough for us to be able to use it as our main online storage. It also seems to get stuck with both uploads and downloads. I've tried to reset by turning off sync and then back on, but it still slows to a crawl. I also tried Iqmac's command above, but it doesn't seem to fix the issue long-term.When I add something new, it's as though it cannot upload until it finished syncing, which seems to never complete and so it doesn't upload. What a mess.

I was thinking that maybe we have too much data, but we're only using a small portion of what is available so I'd expect it not to be a problem.

Anyway...it is what it is: very disappointing.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
iCloud in general has a mind of its own. Made worse by there being absolutely no option anywhere in any user interface to force a refresh. Yes, it's rubbish. Stopped using almost all of it a long time ago. Local storage is old school FTW :cool:

Reactions: gusmula and PDE

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
iCloud is an unmitigated disaster. Yet one more area where Apple completely dropped the ball.

Hollydays

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2023
Not refuting anyone's complaints here though I have had no issues with iCloud whatsoever, and I find it a lot simpler, easier and more transparent than OneDrive, for example. My files are sync'd immediately.
HOWEVER... I have only a tiny amount of personal file storage needs except for photos and for that I agree the syncing could be faster or there should be some sort of quick manual refresh.
Meanwhile, my husband is about to purchase his first MacBook Pro and we will ensure he's got plenty of physical storage besides our cloud storage because his business file needs are cricital. (He also uses all Microsoft programs which only AutoSave to OneDrive which he doesn't/won't use.)
Could the problem others' are expressing have to do with amount of memory available?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I’ve never had issues with iCloud Drive syncing between my Mac, iPad and iPhone. It works so well it’s almost like magic. Uploaded changes are near instantaneous. Downloading occurs when I go to access a file if it’s large enough or immediately upon going to the folder for small files.

I would blame network issues for people having problems with it.

Reactions: Hollydays

Hollydays

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2023
I’ve never had issues with iCloud Drive syncing between my Mac, iPad and iPhone. It works so well it’s almost like magic. Uploaded changes are near instantaneous. Downloading occurs when I go to access a file if it’s large enough or immediately upon going to the folder for small files.

I too was thinking maybe network or internet service issues, as well as possible RAM issues. Whenever I've had any slowness, which has been very rare, it's been either our service was "on the blink" or I was glutting the memory trying to move too many photos at once. But, some folks here, many likely being well more experienced than I, do seem to have real concerns and I hope they will elaborate on the trouble they've experienced.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005

I wish it were a network issue, but my networks work perfectly for all other services -- I have 250mbps download and 25mbps upload and I have used online storage systems for a very long time (Crashplan originally, Dropbox, Sync, OneDrive, ZohoDrive, to name a few) and they have generally worked smoothly with few to no issues syncing.

I use iCloud to sync data from several apps and that seems to work well, but not this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.