Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Youngin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
Is there something about the way iOS 14 is built that won’t allow on device scanning or concerns of future scanning for nefarious purposes by government, etc…

Or is it just an empty promise by Apple that iOS 14 won’t be affected.

The way it has been put out there, is that iOS 14 won’t be affected by on device scanning or however they choose to do things.

Just curious if in the end iOS 14 will be no more protection than iOS 15 from this “on device CSAM, slippery slope privacy stuff being discussed”

Trying to determine if holding onto iOS 14 is pointless in these respects or if it’s the right move.

Or are there many additional privacy concerns with iOS 15 beyond this CSAM issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
14.3 and up has some form of device scanning but supposedly they won’t activate. It makes sense to put it on without telling anyone and then announce when almost all have it and can’t downgrade. Only jailbroken phones stuck on earlier versions and people who are too lazy to update seem to have dodged this bullet.

Reactions: Youngin

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I think there was some code found that was thought to be an early/unfinished of the scanning but it was unconfirmed.

I don't see them secretly doing anything as the sheer amount of backlash they got from the announcement of their intentions alone was immense.

The two biggest backlashes I've seen against Apple recently was with the battery throttling (due to lack of transparency) and this, so combining the two would likely have even worse consequences.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
While the capability may exist to scan CSAM in iOS 14, you can be sure that they’re not so stupid and wreckless to secretly turn it on millions of devices by flipping a switch at headquarters.
They’ve publicly stated that the scanning would be implemented in iOS 15 (no mention of iOS 14) and that they’re still working on an acceptable way to implement it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Is there something about the way iOS 14 is built that won’t allow on device scanning or concerns of future scanning for nefarious purposes by government, etc…

Or is it just an empty promise by Apple that iOS 14 won’t be affected.

The way it has been put out there, is that iOS 14 won’t be affected by on device scanning or however they choose to do things.

Just curious if in the end iOS 14 will be no more protection than iOS 15 from this “on device CSAM, slippery slope privacy stuff being discussed”

Trying to determine if holding onto iOS 14 is pointless in these respects or if it’s the right move.

Or are there many additional privacy concerns with iOS 15 beyond this CSAM issue?

Thanks!
To be active, Apple would have to baked in the hashed database into iOS14. I don't think there are any indication that the database is in iOS14.
We'll see. I hope Apple's management team calmed their own wokeness down, and rethink their decision with cooler heads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.