Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Yesterday I wondered into Software Update and it no longer displays Up to date and iOS 16 in the lower part.
iOS 16.1.1 is now displayed in the main area and a notification appeared.
Is there any confirmation from Apple that iOS 15 is no longer supported?
I have iOS 15.7.1 installed.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo † and avz

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
iOS16.1.1.jpg

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is probably Apple starting to encourage people who held out on upgrading to iOS 16 to do it now. That said since Apple hasn't released a security patch for iOS 15 since 15.7.1 you're probably perfectly safe for the time being.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
it's still supported. i'm still on 15 on my 13 pro i actually haven't updated to 15.7.1 from 15.7 yet (i heard there were some bugs so held out). i noticed today though it shows iOS 16 as the main part then 15.7.1 also available in the small section. earlier on it was reversed. i will probably stay on iOS 15 until early next year till everything major is ironed out

Reactions: bogdanw

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
it's still supported. i'm still on 15 on my 13 pro i actually haven't updated to 15.7.1 from 15.7 yet
So, Apple is forcing iPhone SE 2 to iOS 16, but not iPhone 13 Pro!?!
Probably another glitch in updates pushing service…

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
This could be that iOS 16 is confirmed to be smooth enough for iOS 15 users, and they are only updating it on the iPhone 6S, SE, and 7.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
All Apple devices that can support iOS 16 are now showing 16.1.1 as the main update.
It’s clear we’ve reached a point where Apple thinks it’s stable enough that they want everyone on it, probably because it’s been 60 days since the initial release.
Personally I would’ve waited for 16.2 to officially release before doing this, but it is what it is.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yep, apparently Apple stopped signing iPadOS/iOS 15. ipsw.me shows only iPadOS 16 supported for my iPad Air 5.

Edit: correction: iPadOS 15.7.1 is still supported. For some reason it doesn’t show up on that website and I forgot it existed. Downgrading to it is still possible.

Last edited:

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
They aren't forcing you, it's just that they are now putting iOS 16 updates on top for devices that can update to iOS 16, and since you have the latest version of iOS 15 already that is all that is showing up. Since the person with the 13 Pro is still on iOS 15.7 they are still seeing to option to update to 15.7.1 at the bottom. That said I still suspect that 15.7.1 will be the last version of iOS 15 that will be available on devices that support iOS 16 - Apple will likely continue to release security updates to iOS 15 as needed, but they will only be available to the 6s and 7 series, 1st gen SE and 7th gen iPod Touch. We'll only know for sure when the next iOS 15 update is released though...

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
They aren't forcing you, it's just that they are now putting iOS 16 updates on top for devices that can update to iOS 16, and since you have the latest version of iOS 15 already that is all that is showing up. Since the person with the 13 Pro is still on iOS 15.7 they are still seeing to option to update to 15.7.1 at the bottom. That said I still suspect that 15.7.1 will be the last version of iOS 15 that will be available on devices that support iOS 16 - Apple will likely continue to release security updates to iOS 15 as needed, but they will only be available to the 6s and 7 series, 1st gen SE and 7th gen iPod Touch. We'll only know for sure when the next iOS 15 update is released though...
This is the answer. Settings has a "main" update slot and a "secondary" update slot. If you are on the latest version of the main path you will see the up-to-date message, the secondary update will show at the bottom if available.
On the other hand if you are on the latest version of the secondary path and the main path version is a higher version the main path will show as the only update.

Apple moved iOS 15 from main version to secondary so now iOS 16 shows up if you're already on the latest now secondary path version (15.7.1). If you are on an older version such as 15.7 you have the ability to choose between 15.7.1 and 16.1.1 still.

Apple has decided to push iOS 16 instead of suppressing it by keeping it at the bottom. Whether that means iOS 15 updates are done as well remains to be seen. The fact they still give the option to install 15.7.1 means they haven't 100% let go of it yet.

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I guess at this stage there is still hope that 15.7.2 or 15.8 will show up on my iPhone SE(2020) when it becomes available.
Whether that means iOS 15 updates are done as well remains to be seen.

@avz , @bogdanw , @Paddle1

If we look at Apple’s past precedent, and past behavior, based on this, iOS 15 will be supported for another two years with security updates for certain devices. Check out the Wikipedia article for ios12:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_12

If we scroll down to view the “release history “, we can see that when iOS 13 was released, there were multiple iOS and iPad OS devices that continued to receive security updates on iOS 12 for two years, because these devices were not compatible with iOS 13.

Apple has also been following this pattern with macOS for about a decade or more. When we can’t upgrade our Mac to the latest macOS, we will still receive two years of security updates on the previous macOS for our device. Side note: There is A bit more freedom on macOS in that a device that is able to upgrade to the latest macOS can choose not to upgrade indefinitely and continue to just receive security updates on the current macOS. Conversely, Apple seems to be forcing iOS 16 compatible devices to upgrade.

it also is possible that without announcing anything, Apple will suddenly break with a decade of past precedent, and suddenly abandon certain devices like the iPhone 7, which is stuck on iOS 15.

However, based on Apple’s past behavior and policy over the last 10 years, I think that the above described situation is very unlikely, and on certain devices, we will most likely receive two years of security updates on iOS 15. The security updates won’t be the super-duper flagship updates with new features that iOS 16 gets, but for some devices, there will probably still be some kind of security support with iOS 15 every couple of months until the autumn of 2025.

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
As I mentioned in the first post, before I had iOS 15.7.1/up to date, now I have only iOS 16.1.1 and a persistent notification for it.

About updates and upgrades:
Apple clarifies security update policy: Only the latest OSes are fully patched
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...olicy-only-the-latest-oses-are-fully-patched/
About software updates for Apple devices
https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/about-software-updates-depc4c80847a/web
The note is about macOS
"Note: Because of dependency on architecture and system changes to any current version of macOS (for example, macOS 13), not all known security issues are addressed in previous versions (for example, macOS 12)."
"Users can also decide to update or upgrade their devices when a new major operating system is available"
199552a09148fcea8287ce1a0aaac355.png

For the moment, I'll keep using iOS 15.7.1 and avoid XML files :)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213505
https://www.securityweek.com/apple-patches-remote-code-execution-flaws-ios-macos

Reactions: chrfr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.