Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solosdk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
I installed iOS 8 b1 the day it was released on my rMini and it was BUGGY as hell (obviously, I know its a beta). My iPad kept on restarting and crashing couple minutes.

My question is, does anyone feel as though its usable now or is it still buggy and unusable?

If its buggy BUT usable, please tell me also

Thanks

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I installed iOS 8 b1 the day it was released on my rMini and it was BUGGY as hell (obviously, I know its a beta). My iPad kept on restarting and crashing couple minutes.

My question is, does anyone feel as though its usable now or is it still buggy and unusable?

Thanks

And people can determine this in the 3 hours it's been out....

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
No, it's not ready, that's why it's still a beta. Messages app crashes quite often, apps still crash.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
No not yet. Probably won't be completely stable until the last beta or close to it. It IS better than beta 1 but a lot of the issues are going to be from apps that cannot update for iOS 8 yet.

ForthRightAfter

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
in comparison to beta 1 I find this to be marginally more stable, I am no longer experiencing the frustrations for attempting to use an unfinished product in real world scenarios. the phone app once again works, Safari no longer crashes for me, some of my app weren't working at first, but deleting & re-downloading them made them work. I am testing out my in house business apps and this beta is definitely better.

Last edited:

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I would install it as a daily driver ONLY if :

1) You're okay with random app crashes [ yes, it'll happen! ]

And/Or

2) Have a backup device to throw your SIM in to, should the BETA become a PITA :D

I'm currently using it on my 5S, but that's my test device. Daily driver is the Note 3.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
It seems pretty stable, it hardly crashes and the battery hasn't died yet and I've spent the last four hours watching YouTube vids.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California

Thanks

Still buggy, but I find it usable. Quite a few of the problems that I had before are fixed...

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
HA and so beta 3,4,5,and 6 wont be any better huh? But when GM is available then ............:rolleyes: Of course when 8.0.1-8.0.6 then 8.1 then 8.1.1-8.1.3 it will REALLY be better.

Well apps generally start sending out their compatible ios 8 apps once the GM has been released. A noob should hold off or someone that uses their phone for work.

You failed in your analysis.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Hmm, my phone app is broken. I click on a contact/contact's number to call them and it doesn't do anything...but completes the call anyway. Just doesn't pull up the calling screen or anything...

And this is day 1, too. Yeah I think I'll stick with iOS 7 for now.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Oddly beta 1 was super stable on my iPad Air. Only reason I had to downgrade was my Traktor Z1 controller was no longer recognised. Don’t have much hope for that being fixed in b2 however.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Not withstanding the obvious "it's Beta so not intended for daily use"...

I installed B1 on my rMini and my 5s. On the 5s it was a total crashfest and I restored back within about 30 minutes of installing it. On the rMini, B1 was fine apart from the odd app not working. So I kept it.

Installed B2 on my 5s and have to say in my experience it's a massive improvement. Some key 3rd party apps that failed on B1 now work, and I've not had any issues at all except for my initial iCloud restore getting stuck and a dropped call when I hit the sleep button to put the phone in my pocket while still chatting on headset. Will keep this for now.

Also just noticed that location services was always on, the culprit was "traffic" so switched location off for that.

solosdk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
in comparison to beta 1 I find this to be marginally more stable, I am no longer experiencing the frustrations for attempting to use an unfinished product in real world scenarios. the phone app once again works, Safari no longer crashes for me, some of my app weren't working at first, but deleting & re-downloading them made them work. I am testing out my my in house business apps and this beta is definitely better.

Thank you very much. This is the sort of answer I wanted :)

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Well apps generally start sending out their compatible ios 8 apps once the GM has been released. A noob should hold off or someone that uses their phone for work.

You failed in your analysis.

I agree it is currently unstable for most users. But thats not to say that it wont be with the next beta versions. Thats what I meant. Cant just assume it will remain unstable until GM. Thats all I was saying.

Side note, there are a LOT of things that still flaky mostly with 3rd party apps but even the built in one such as contacts. So for most users B2 should not be installed on daily device.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
More Stable than B1? Yes. Perfectly Stable? No. Many App Store Apps broken? Yes. (For me, Netflix, Soundcloud, ect.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.