Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I've still got iOS 8.3 (Jailbroken) on my iPhone 6 & Air 2.

iOS 7 destroyed my iPhone 5 with tons of lag/stutter (previously flawless buttery smooth on iOS 6.1.2) so I've been EXTREMELY hesitant to update past the iOS the devices shipped with.

The iPhone 6 & Air 2 have never been as smooth as I'd like so I'm contemplating updating.

Should I update?

(If you've never experienced lag/stutter on your iDevice, please do not respond).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you worry about lag/stutter and already apparently had issues with that kind of thing in iOS 7, you might as well stay with what you have and what already works for you.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
If you worry about lag/stutter and already apparently had issues with that kind of thing in iOS 7, you might as well stay with what you have and what already works for you.
The iPhone 6 on iOS 8 is better than the iPhone 5 on iOS 7. It's far from perfect and still have lag and stutter. I've just learned to deal with it.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iOS 9 is laggier and more stutters than iOS 8 on everything I've used it on, and if you found iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 bad, then you'd definitely be annoyed by iOS 9 stutter.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
iOS 9 is laggier and more stutters than iOS 8 on everything I've used it on, and if you found iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 bad, then you'd definitely be annoyed by iOS 9 stutter.
iOS 8 it is.

The last great iDevice was iPhone 5 on iOS 6.

iPhone is as laggy as Android now (worse, tbh) and it seems Apple has decided to try and solve their inefficient and defective software coding with hardware horsepower. Good luck with that.

I'm staying for now because of iMessage and app quality but the stutters and CONSTANT app reloads are really starting to annoy me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The iPhone 6 on iOS 8 is better than the iPhone 5 on iOS 7. It's far from perfect and still have lag and stutter. I've just learned to deal with it.
Realistically speaking, perhaps depending on what particular version of iOS 7 you used, most would say that as of iOS 7.1 (and basically the last 7.1.2 update) things were quite good and basically even better than iOS 8 or 9 as far as performance.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iOS 8 it is.

The last great iDevice was iPhone 5 on iOS 6.

iPhone is as laggy as Android now and it seems Apple has decided to try and solve their inefficient and defective software coding with hardware horsepower. Good luck with that.

I'm staying for now because of iMessage and app quality.

To be fair, when my iPhone 5 was on iOS 7 it was pretty much 100 percent smooth. I didn't get any stutter till iOS 8, and even then iOS 8 ran pretty well. I think iOS 9 has some serious issues with optimisation, that are highlighted when you have iOS 10 running so well in comparison.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Realistically speaking, perhaps depending on what particular version of iOS 7 you used, most would say that as of iOS 7.1 (and basically the last 7.1.2 update) things were quite good and basically even better than iOS 8 or 9 as far as performance.
To be fair, when my iPhone 5 was on iOS 7 it was pretty much 100 percent smooth. I didn't get any stutter till iOS 8, and even then iOS 8 ran pretty well. I think iOS 9 has some serious issues with optimisation, that are highlighted when you have iOS 10 running so well in comparison.
I went from 6.1.2 to 7.1.2 on an iPhone 5 and the lag pushed me into a iPhone 6 (Yes, I bought a 128GB iPhone 6 because of lag...I really hate lag/stutters). The lag is still present and the lack of a good alternative for the apps I need for work and iMessage have kept me on iOS.

I still use Google for all my services and let me tell you what, before I spend $1500+ buying a new iPhone & iPad I'll be looking very closely at Android again.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I went from 6.1.2 to 7.1.2 on an iPhone 5 and the lag pushed me into a iPhone 6. The lag is still present and the lack of a good alternative for the apps I need for work and iMessage have kept me on iOS.

I still use Google for all my services and let me tell you what, before I spend $1500+ buying a new iPhone & iPad I'll be looking very closely at Android again.
There was definitely a change in how animations and responsiveness worked with the whole iOS 7 redesign compared to iOS 6 and earlier. That said, thinking back to how iOS 7.1.2 was working on my iPhone 5 compared to how iOS 8.4.1 was working on my iPhone 6, (and thinking of various threads and discussions about it all that happened over the years), it doesn't seem like iOS 8 on iPhone 6 was noticeably better. That said, to one degree or another, there's certainly a variation of how things work for different people and different devices, so that sometimes can play a role as well.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
There was definitely a change in how animations and responsiveness worked with the whole iOS 7 redesign compared to iOS 6 and earlier. That said, thinking back to how iOS 7.1.2 was working on my iPhone 5 compared to how iOS 8.4.1 was working on my iPhone 6, (and thinking of various threads and discussions about it all that happened over the years), it doesn't seem like iOS 8 on iPhone 6 was noticeably better. That said, to one degree or another, there's certainly a variation of how things work for different people and different devices, so that sometimes can play a role as well.
It's just such a difficult question because people easily forget just how perfect iOS 6 really was. Its performance has never been beaten by anyone.

Heck, most people don't notice the input blocking delay during animations on iOS 9 (can fixed with JB app) and it was the very first thing I noticed when I tried my friends iPhone on iOS 9.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's just such a difficult question because people easily forget just how perfect iOS 6 really was. Its performance has never been beaten by anyone.

Heck, most people don't notice the input blocking delay during animations on iOS 9 (can fixed with JB app) and it was the very first thing I noticed when I tried my friends iPhone on iOS 9.
Oh, in the context of iOS 6 and before, there's really no question. It's more of a comparison in the context of the new/current design from iOS 7 and on.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

If anything, my experience of iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 was that it was smoother than iOS 8 on the iPhone 6 - the 6 and iOS 8 was the first time I could go into an Apple store and use a brand new iPhone with its original iOS release and have it stutter.
[doublepost=1471484383][/doublepost]
I went from 6.1.2 to 7.1.2 on an iPhone 5 and the lag pushed me into a iPhone 6 (Yes, I bought a 128GB iPhone 6 because of lag...I really hate lag/stutters). The lag is still present and the lack of a good alternative for the apps I need for work and iMessage have kept me on iOS.

That truly sounds like there was something wrong with your 5 - I am known on here for criticising lag and stutter on iOS devices, yet I found the iPhone 5 with iOS 7 pretty much smooth as butter.

Reactions: asv56kx3088

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Oh, in the context of iOS 6 and before, there's really no question. It's more of a comparison in the context of the new/current design from iOS 7 and on.
Right.
If anything, my experience of iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 was that it was smoother than iOS 8 on the iPhone 6 - the 6 and iOS 8 was the first time I could go into an Apple store and use a brand new iPhone with its original iOS release and have it stutter.
Yeah. I had stutter day 1.

I'd say no iOS works smoother than the one the iDevice ships with (iOS 7,8,9,etc. I'm sure the small updates help some little issues).

It's just frustrating to me because it's like comparing a gold bar to various degrees of polished turds.

That truly sounds like there was something wrong with your 5 - I am known on here for criticising lag and stutter on iOS devices, yet I found the iPhone 5 with iOS 7 pretty much smooth as butter.
Its psychological. iOS 7 on iP5 couldn't even rotate the iMessage app without stutter. I verified that on a handful of different iPhone 5's I had access to. Compared to iOS 6, the performance of any other subsequent iOS is trash.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Prior to iOS7, I don't recall noticing or even caring about animations, it all started with iOS7's questionable UX where I noticed animations, lag, distracting translucency etc getting in the way instead of aiding the user experience. So much so that it gave birth to this colossal animations thread https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...responsiveness-due-to-input-blocking.1942001/

I do find it sad that these slowdowns/lag/stutter, lead to new iPhone purchases. Apple should just allow users to downgrade if they choose to. Forcing them to stay on the latest buggy/laggy/slow OS on an older iPhones is just despicable.

And it actually gets worse in iOS 9.3 if I remember correctly, Apple started forcing upgrades on users, you'll get nagging reminders at least weekly that you must upgrade, prompting for your pincode so that it can restart and upgrade automatically. And even if you delete the update, Apple forces a new download so that it's ready to annoy you with a prompt and for install next time.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If animations and translucency are turned off, iOS 9.3.5 is stutter free and snappy on a ip6+. At least mine is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.