Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justin Tan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
I’m an iPad Air 2 user which it has A8x processor and 2gb ram. It shuts the background app frequently.

Like if I’m in Facebook and I go to safari, Facebook will be shut down within a minute (having said that there’re only this two app active), so once I finish my job in safari, I gotta restart the Facebook again. it makes me feel that the ram in my iPad Air 2 is insufficient.

So I plan to upgrade to Air 3, but having said that it has only 3gb ram, is the difference minor and stills shuts background app frequently?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
We have the iPad Air 2 (2 GB RAM), iPad 7th generation (3 GB RAM), and iPad Pro 10.5 (4 GB).

The refreshing on the iPad 7th generation with 3 GB RAM is noticeably less than on the iPad Air 2, but it does sometimes refresh. Even my iPad Pro 10.5 with 4 GB RAM will sometimes refresh though, but again, it's significantly reduced compared to the iPad Air 2.

Unfortunately, it is a characteristic of the way iPadOS handles background apps and tabs. More memory helps (and 3 GB is 50% more memory than 2 GB), but doesn't eliminate the problem.

Justin Tan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
We have the iPad Air 2 (2 GB RAM), iPad 7th generation (3 GB RAM), and iPad Pro 10.5 (4 GB).

The refreshing on the iPad 7th generation with 3 GB RAM is noticeably less than on the iPad Air 2, but it does sometimes refresh. Even my iPad Pro 10.5 with 4 GB RAM will sometimes refresh though, but again, it's significantly reduced compared to the iPad Air 2.

Unfortunately, it is a characteristic of the way iPadOS handles background apps and tabs. More memory helps (and 3 GB is 50% more memory than 2 GB), but doesn't eliminate the problem.
Do you have any idea how frequent is it for ur iPad Air 3? For my iPad Air 2, it basically refreshes once I switch to another app, or while having two apps in the background.

eg, I have safari opened and went to Facebook. After that to the App Store. Basically safari would be shut down. Or sometimes it shuts down when I’m still in Facebook. Pretty terrible and annoying for me.

How is the Air 3 doing?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Justin, i have had my ipad air 3 for about a month now (my first ever ipad) and usually have about 6 apps open (safari with about 3 tabs, disney plus, kindle with a marvel comic im reading, amazon, settings and maybe photos). From my experience so far only amazon refreshes on some occasions, with everything else exactly as it was. So its great for me. I can imagine that if i had multiple safari tabs open then some of those might refresh, but im quite ocd with tabs and never like to have too many open.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I’m an iPad Air 2 user which it has A8x processor and 2gb ram. It shuts the background app frequently.

Like if I’m in Facebook and I go to safari, Facebook will be shut down within a minute (having said that there’re only this two app active), so once I finish my job in safari, I gotta restart the Facebook again. it makes me feel that the ram in my iPad Air 2 is insufficient.

So I plan to upgrade to Air 3, but having said that it has only 3gb ram, is the difference minor and stills shuts background app frequently?
Yes, the iPad Air 3 will do you well in terms of RAM. You will notice a significant improvement.

Justin Tan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
Justin, i have had my ipad air 3 for about a month now (my first ever ipad) and usually have about 6 apps open (safari with about 3 tabs, disney plus, kindle with a marvel comic im reading, amazon, settings and maybe photos). From my experience so far only amazon refreshes on some occasions, with everything else exactly as it was. So its great for me. I can imagine that if i had multiple safari tabs open then some of those might refresh, but im quite ocd with tabs and never like to have too many open.
What about for multi apps switching but not only in safari switching tabs?
[automerge]1587710807[/automerge]
Yes, the iPad Air 3 will do you well in terms of RAM. You will notice a significant improvement.
I see. Alright thanks. Because pretty worried as it is just 1gb more comparing to the Air 2. But I don’t know does the processor really matters when it comes to multitasking because both iPad Air 3 and iPad 10.2 have 3gb of ram.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I see. Alright thanks. Because pretty worried as it is just 1gb more comparing to the Air 2. But I don’t know does the processor really matters when it comes to multitasking because both iPad Air 3 and iPad 10.2 have 3gb of ram.
If you’re that worried, get the Apple refurbed iPad Pro 10.5 with 4 GB RAM. It has nicer speakers and ProMotion too.

Astonish_IT

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
If you’re that worried, get the Apple refurbed iPad Pro 10.5 with 4 GB RAM. It has nicer speakers and ProMotion too.

Actually this souunds like a solid advice since the design of the iPad Air and the 10.5 iPad Pro is very similar if not the same. It is not like the old iPad Pro and the last two generations of the iPad Pro where there has been a major redesign. I would go to the iPad Pro 10.5 root as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.